Generic question re greasing pressure relief valve

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Generic question re greasing pressure relief valve
"I regularly have to remove a nipple, put it in my very high pressure McNaught gun and pump some grease through it."

I have a tool you fill with grease and put on a clogged zerk and hit with a hammer to clear it. Works pretty good.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I
The best grease gun couplers I have ever used are the De Walt. They stay on the fitting better and last a lot longer than the generic ones.
I have 6 or 7 different couplers. 3 jaw, 4 jaw, "universal", 2 different locking couplers, metric etc. None of them fit all different zerks.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
"I regularly have to remove a nipple, put it in my very high pressure McNaught gun and pump some grease through it."

I have a tool you fill with grease and put on a clogged zerk and hit with a hammer to clear it. Works pretty good.
I wonder if that would have worked on those the I had remove so the hardern grease and dirt behind the zerk could be drilled out. But most I replace are either damaged or simply missing.

I do know I blew a hose last year on my hand pump trying to inject grease.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wonder if that would have worked on those the I had remove so the hardern grease and dirt behind the zerk could be drilled out. But most I replace are either damaged or simply missing.

I do know I blew a hose last year on my hand pump trying to inject grease.
This the type tool i use to clear zerks of hardened grease.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I have seen those but I have wonder if they are able to free pivot points where it is not the zerk being clogged like front spindles if that makes sense.

Gord Baker

Threads
Thanks ST,

I can't see if the grease is coming from the zerk centre as the only thing I can report is the grease seems to flowing from all around the the grease gun nozzle. i presume this is because it is leaking back around the outside edge of the zerk. I actually didn't see this as a problem as I've seen this behaviour with multiple grease nipples on different equipment over the years and I simply thought it was 'normal', i.e. if there was no specific pressure relief valve this is what happens when the cavity is full.

So, yes, I do seem to have two problems - bugger!!

Cheers, Peter
Try a new or different grease gun. Sometimes Zerk fittings get plugged, but rarely.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have seen those but I have wonder if they are able to free pivot points where it is not the zerk being clogged like front spindles if that makes sense.
Not sure about that. I find it clears zerks with stuck check balls and joints with old hard grease plugging zerks.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
The check ball does get stuck from time to time but I find if you take a small awl or punch you can push the check ball in and it will work just fine.

PeterJones

Threads
This post has introduced me to the world of zerks. I did a bit of research and found this page:

Things are actually more complex than I thought....

Cheers, Peter

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Now Peter you are just learning to improve your knowledge which is very good. And many here do need to look at the site you posted to learn more too. There are several listed that I haven't seen just because I yet to run across them in use. Doesn't mean I wouldn't tomorrow.

Thanks for posting the link. I have bookmarked it for future reference here.