Generator w/ 8HP B&S - voltage too high + other questions

H-Towner

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Generator w/ 8HP B&S - voltage too high + other questions
Following up, I changed the oil, bought a new fuel line and filter, and bought a Kill-a-Watt. But I took a bit of a break while getting over pneumonia. Yeesh!

Today I got back on it, and I think I’ve got the needle valve dialed in to help with cold starts. We’ll see next time I start it cold.

Now with the Kill-a-Watt, it reads just under 61 Hz with no load and just over 59 Hz with the heater drawing 1000W. A little over 130V at no load and about 121V at 1000W.

I take all this to mean it should be good to go if we lose lights again this season. Thanks a ton for all the advice.

jviews12

Threads
for the record, I use this item. I am NOT an expert but think this helps. This model is retired, but they still make similar devices.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-05 at 8.13.58 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-05 at 8.13.58 AM.png
    517.3 KB · Views: 2

Forest#2

Threads
What usually causes most emergency generators problems is long term storage without any exercise which includes long term storage of gasoline in the fuel tank and carb.

Auto Doc's

Threads
I looked at your generator pictures and I have one just like that in my collection.

A couple of things to mention is wrap your fuel lines or put a section of hose over them to prevent excessive heat from the muffler causing problems.

The next item is to add an inline shutoff valve where the line comes out of the tank. This way you can use it to shut the unit down without backfire and run the fuel out of the carburetor at the same time. Fuel left sitting in carburetors is a huge issue I deal with. Use non ethanol fuel if you can get it.

Auto Doc's

Threads
I looked at your generator pictures and I have one just like that in my collection.

A couple of things to mention is wrap your fuel lines or put a section of hose over them to prevent excessive heat from the muffler causing problems.

The next item is to add an inline shutoff valve where the line comes out of the tank. This way you can use it to shut the unit down without backfire and run the fuel out of the carburetor at the same time. Fuel left sitting in carburetors is a huge issue I deal with. Use non ethanol fuel if you can get it.