Generator Problem

beebo172

Threads
Sorry for posting this here, not sure where to post it. I have a portable generator that had some messed up spark plug threads. I used a thread chaser covered in grease, and quite a few little pieces of aluminum came out. I believe that at least the vast majority of the pieces of aluminum came out on the thread chaser, but I would imagine that a few pieces fell in. The best thing to do would be take the engine apart and cleaning it out, but that is above my ability.
After my generator has not been used in a while, I pull the spark plug and put a little bit of Marvel Mystery Oil in the hole, put the plug back in, and hand crank it slowly a few times to spread it around. I am thinking maybe I should do that, then run the motor for a few minutes, then change the oil. It has electric start. Instead of doing that, someone told me that I should make sure it has no fuel, take the spark plug out, and crank it for a few seconds and it will spit some oil out, hopefully with any aluminum chips in it.
Any advice would be appreciated.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pour about 1/2 a cylinder full of kerro down the plug hole
Rock the engine back & forth a dozen or so times then give the starter a good spin
DO it twice if you are worried
Then change the oil
The worst that might happen is a tiny bit get stuck under the exhaust valve but being struck by lightening when in the 4th basement of a skyscraper is more likely

beebo172

Threads
Thanks for the reply. Please excuse my ignorance, what is kerro? I googled it and didn't find anything.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The stuff that goes into old wick storm lamps. Aladin lamps, old pressure blow lamps.
Some call it parrafin
this stuff

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
i have a feeling Bert means Kerosene

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Wouldn't mind a magic pudden can like she was using
Must have poured 5 gallons out of a 1 gallon can and down here it is $ 14 . gallon