General Transmission Element V Service Manual

itguy08

Threads
Anyone have a link or a copy of a service manual for this transmission? Have one in my Ariens A22A46 riding mower and it's pretty much lost reverse. Sometimes it will go in reverse. Flat and it may work OK. Any sort of incline, it inches up and then just stops. Belt looks fine and forward is great. Sometimes if I yank up on the pedal it will inch in reverse.

Seems like something needs adjustment but the rods are all fixed length with no adjustment possible.

Any suggestions before I take it in?

LongYard

Forum Newbie
Threads
Not sure if this came through before:

This transmission is equipped with an Inversion security system to protect internal gears when going from forward to reverse speed. Is the issue worse when going to reverse quickly?

The system located just below the driven pulley (see #4 on the drawing attached) may be too sensitive and stop the inversion process even when gently operating.

- LongYard, this is direct from the technical assistance department at General TransmissionsView attachment GT87069.pdf

itguy08

Threads
Not sure if this came through before:

This transmission is equipped with an Inversion security system to protect internal gears when going from forward to reverse speed. Is the issue worse when going to reverse quickly?

The system located just below the driven pulley (see #4 on the drawing attached) may be too sensitive and stop the inversion process even when gently operating.

- LongYard, this is direct from the technical assistance department at General TransmissionsView attachment 20822

Thanks. Was just out mowing yesterday and it seems to be the same no matter what i do. I always stop completely and then press the pedal to go into reverse. Most of the time it will SLOWLY back up if it's level and then I can go forward. If there is any type of incline it will usually "sputter" and then stop. If I reach down and pull on the pedal giving that last tiny bit of play it sometimes will sputter back a little more and then stop. Almost feels like if I could give it another bit of travel in the reverse way it would catch and be fine.

Is there a procedure for adjusting the inversion control? Number 10 on your diagram? It goes into the shop in a couple weeks but if I can easily adjust it myself it may save me the trip and possibly using the push mower again! :)

LongYard

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry for the delay. Perhaps you've solved the issue by now? If not, here's what General Transmissions says:

From General Transmissions, the technical department says It is difficult to give more advice without seeing and analyzing the transmission. Might be time to take it to the repair shop. A direct quote from them:
"We only can say that it is not an internal failure, but should be due to controls or the speed variation system."

All external parts or replacement kits are available by our distributor, Central Power System.

Probably not exactly what you wanted to hear, but it seems as if it could be one of several different things -- hard to diagnose without actually seeing the machine, as the General Transmissions people say..

Best of luck, and if you have more insight into what's causing the issue, let us know!

.LongYard

itguy08

Threads
Thanks for the reply and all the assistance. I ended up taking it to the shop on Thursday and they said I should have it back next week so I'll definitely update this thread when I get the answer from them.

My gut feeling is just as the technical department said - something external to the transmission. I would think if it were internal it would not run as well as it does. Runs great in forward, it's just reverse that has issues.

Thanks again and will update the thread when I have the fix.

dte1225

Forum Newbie
Threads
The rotating cam on my transmission broke after 5 hours of use. It is part #6 on the pdf diagram LongYard included a link to above. The rotating cam is made of plastic and it will definitely break if the go-forward or reverse pedals are stomped on before the engine is started, which is just what my teenager did to break it. If yours is partially broken it could be the cause of your problem. General Transmission sent me a replacement rotating cam for a little under $11 C.O.D.. It is ridiculous this critical part is made of plastic.

itguy08

Threads
Heard back from the shop and it appears as if I'm stuck for now - they stated there is no adjustments and the only thing Ariens will do is when it fails completely replace the entire transmission. So I'll either deal with it for now and when it finally goes out let them deal with it again or try to fix it myself.

Is there anything I can check out or adjust, like #10? Or look at #6?

Thanks again for any help. I'd really like to get it fixed vs just letting it burn itself up.

itguy08

Threads
Almost forgot all about this thread but wanted to post an update...

Not happy at all with the "service" from the dealer - "should have bought it from us", "it's the plastic transmission", etc. and the general "you didn't buy it here so sorry about your luck".

I e-mailed the General Transmission folks from their website and got an awesome contact there that sent me to a YouTube link on how to disassemble the transmission as well as some adjustment tips. He also gave me an adjustment to perform. Near the back of the transmission (I believe part #7 on the diagram) there is a screw for adjustment. You can use that to help with the speed in both forward and reverse. He was great with my questions and IT WORKED!!!. Forward is a little quicker and reverse works up hills no problem. It's back to where it should be.

So thanks to this forum and GT for helping me out! Boo to the dealer that waned to blame things and not understand what they service. And I now know why I fix my own stuff!

fgenova7

Forum Newbie
Threads
The rotating cam on my transmission broke after 5 hours of use. It is part #6 on the pdf diagram LongYard included a link to above. The rotating cam is made of plastic and it will definitely break if the go-forward or reverse pedals are stomped on before the engine is started, which is just what my teenager did to break it. If yours is partially broken it could be the cause of your problem. General Transmission sent me a replacement rotating cam for a little under $11 C.O.D.. It is ridiculous this critical part is made of plastic.

Dte,

How difficult was the replacement after you received the cam assembly? were you a me to replace without dripping the unit from the mower? Service area under the seat is a bit tight....

Gtarjohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm in the same boat concerning the cam assembly. Were you successful in replacing it without dropping the unit? Mine just happened today and I know it's the cam as a piece of it fell out under the mower (can match it to the cam in the pictures). Anyhow, it looks pretty tight in there. I bought it just at 2 years ago, so I'm pretty sure the warranty is out now.