Gearbox in Snowblower. 00 Oil Problem.

atomike

Forum Newbie
Threads
So, the manual for my 20 year old Snapper snowblower says to use regular lithium grease for 4 of the 5 grease inputs near the auger. But for the gearbox, it specifically says to use "00" grease. "5 squirts" of 00 grease to be specific each year. So a few years ago, I go and ask at ACE, and buy some "00" grease. Every year, I try to use the stuff, but it came in a squeezable tube, like a tube of toothpaste, and not in a container like one would use in a grease-gun. So, basically, I'm curious what is wrong here. It seems Snapper didn't realize how fluid "00" grease is, or they want me to squeeze this tube into a grease-gun-like input nozzle somehow on the gear box. Either way, it makes me really question what they expect a guy to do with this gearbox nozzle. I've carefully cut the top of the tube of 00 grease so it fits on the gearbox nozzle, and then I squeeze hard on the tube, but it doesn't seem like it's doing anything. Am I just a moron, or was my Snapper snowblower (or its manual) simply designed by a weirdo?
Thanks for any help or ideas.

RDA.Lawns

Threads
You can use a small needle grease gun used in tight places and for chainsaw bars. They dont hold much grease . You could also remove the fitting and squeeze it in there from the tube.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the nozzle is making a seal on the tube you are compressing air in the gear box rather than putting grease in.

atomike

Forum Newbie
Threads
If the nozzle is making a seal on the tube you are compressing air in the gear box rather than putting grease in.

So, if I squeezed all the air out of the tip beforehand, so I'm not sure that's true.
Regardless, I'm assuming air would be bad? (you didn't say).

Anyway, back to my actual question; RDA Lawns - thanks for those tips. Those are helpful. Appreciate it.
It just seems funny that the gear box has a typical grease nozzle. Why would they put that there? I'm guessing most DIY folks would see the nozzle and put regular lithium grease in there, which (I'm again just guessing) would be bad. Right?

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Tractor supply sell it in 20lb 50lb and 100lb tubs.
A lot of old farm tractors run 0 , 00 or 000 grease in their transmissions , PTO's and bevel drives.
A 20 lb tub is aboyu the same price as 2 x 4oz tubes.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm sorry you don't understand the basics of natural science.

atomike

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm sorry you don't understand the basics of natural science.

So, that's nonsense.
RDA was quite helpful. And thanks again to him.
But based on your non-sequitur responses, I just don't think internet forums are your thing. Just not for you. And that's OK. Different venues would probably be better.
If you wish to continue, I hope the moderators aren't too harsh here (FYI, personal attacks can get you banned on many forums just so you're aware).

Thanks again to RDA Lawns, who knows his stuff!!!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So, if I squeezed all the air out of the tip beforehand, so I'm not sure that's true.
Regardless, I'm assuming air would be bad? (you didn't say).

Anyway, back to my actual question; RDA Lawns - thanks for those tips. Those are helpful. Appreciate it.
It just seems funny that the gear box has a typical grease nozzle. Why would they put that there? I'm guessing most DIY folks would see the nozzle and put regular lithium grease in there, which (I'm again just guessing) would be bad. Right?

It is put in with a regular grease gun which is why the regular grease nipple is there.
For lawnmowing, 00 grease s most often used in the bevel drive on a line trimmer or the gearbox on a hedge trimmer which is why you get it in a small & very expensive tube.
It is not generally supplied in a cartridge.
Farmers use in for tractor boxes so pour it in directly from the drum or load it into a bulk fill gun.
Industry use a lot more in pressure fed bearings where it is pumped in from a reseviour.

And yes if you put regular hi-tac grease in it will roll into long round rods rather similar to what one would flush away and will not do any good in a gearbox at all.

Bitty

Forum Newbie
Threads
This thread is a few years old, but I have the same question. I "rescued" a old Snapper snow thrower from a trash pile and was able to get it running. Now all that is left is to lube it. I bought 00 grease as per the manual I downloaded, but it is in a bottle and there is a grease fitting on the crankcase. I can only find grease guns that take a cartridge. So how do I get the 00 grease in? Would unscrewing the fitting and just squirting it in be the right answer? Thanks RDA for that suggestion- that is my current plan but I thought I would look around a bit first. How did you resolve it, Atomike?

Thanks for any advice!