Gator Blades for ZT1 50?

Wes F.

Forum Newbie
Threads
Anyone here found gator blades for their ZT1 50? I reached out to Oregon and inquired because all I could find on their site was 17 7/8” blades and they confirmed they do not make a suitable blade for the mower. Additionally, the offset is 15/16” which means they would drop down below the deck lip if bolted onto the spindle. I have been over all the forums, searched for 742-05052 and 942-05052 replacement blades and all I can seem to find is the grossly overpriced, crap OEM blades. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to the world of let's take a standard part and make it odd enough you have to buy from us at a stupid price till oregon makes an aftermarket copy. Look through a parts catalog at all the different blades. There are different types but not that many. They don't design new blades or spindles because they are better.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
My paper catalogue from Stens lists 8 blades that are 17 7/8" long
7 of them have a hole & one has a Husqvarna star
Unfortunately it does not appear to be accessable on line
So you will need to take your blade to your nearest independent mower repair shop, you know the ones who do repairs & sell used mowers .
They will probably be able to do a near match for length width thickness & hole size.

the down side of thisis you will need to buy the blade from them & not Amazon or ebay and that appears to be against the religion of a lot who post here.
The other thing too remember is not every blade will work with every deck as the size Shape & angle of the flute is specifically designed for a particular deck .
I remember one case when I found some higer lift blades for a customer because he wanted to throw further
Unfortunately all they did was pack a lot of grass between the deck & the blade till the deck was overwhelmed and choked .
Then again I have a customer with both a Great Dane & A Toro
He found the Toro cuts better with the Dane blades fited and the Dane cuts better with the Toro blades fitted.

Now what is the problem you are having with the "grossly overpriced, crap OEM blades" ?

billv45

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've been using Oregon 598-064 Mulching Gator Blades for three years with excellent results in my ZT1 50" deck. The blades sit just a tad lower to the ground but not too low. I thought I would have a selection available by now but this and two offered by CC are it, as far as I know
Bill

CubbyCommando

Threads
I use "Copperhead" mulch blades manufactured by Rotary. They are similar to Gator blades. Item you want is:

Copperhead Mulcher Blade 17-1/4" X 6 Point Star MTD

Only caveat is if the grass is wet or even damp they will clump up like crazy. If the grass is nice and dry they work fantastic. Good luck!

marksanders

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is there any problem with the offset using the Copperhead 16080 blades?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Here is a stupid question are the current blades using the new "S" mount instead the six point mount?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just what we need. Another useless proprietary blade mount from crap cadet. Just one more reason to NOT buy crap cadet.
<<<rant off>>>

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yelp just had to order set of blades for stock which BTW are all on B/O from CUB/MTD distributor. Just wait there is a quick change large "S" version too. I am holding off on buying spindles for awhile. Looks like the "S" while hold up better than the star.