Gasoline "fountain" came out of mower

marycjm

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was putting gasoline into a mower last night and it splashed back out like a fountain and hit me in the face and eyes. There was some old gasoline in the mower and the gas in the can was from last fall. I rinsed my eyes out with water for 20 minutes and think they are OK, but don't know what to do about the mower. I never knew something like this could happen.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The vent for the fuel tank is not working

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I wouldn't of used old fuel from last year to try to start it up this season.

If you use fuel stabilizer you won't have any stale fuel issues. Engine will fire up like new. Never have to clean the carb again or replace it. What's not to like?

slomo

Born2Mow

Threads
Glad you're OK.

Your car or truck (with fuel injection) can run that old fuel, but NOT any engine with a carb. The new fuels are junk and require stabilizers to be added the day you buy the fuel. Especially if you plan to keep the fuel for more than 6 weeks. Unless you have a snow-blower... you should plan on draining and ridding all equipment of all fuel in the Fall.

In fact, your clogged tank breather is probably exactly because you left old fuel in the tank.

Golfnuts

Forum Newbie
Threads
I know a lot of folks say gasoline does not last very long and never let gas stay in tank for a long time. I’m 78 years old and never have experienced that problem. I have a water pump that will have gas left in the tank for over a year and never had problem of starting and running the pump and same thing with a 3000W generator. The one thing I do is use premium gas in my air cooled engines. I have 2 lawn mowers that have 18 and 22 hp engines and both started right up and we mowed our 3 acre lot this week. I’m not saying using stabilizers is not a benefit to your engine, but when you have 7 or 8 air cooled engines on the farm it takes lots of time to treat the gas especially if you have never experienced issues in the past. The one thing I do is change the engine oil frequently and replace filters. Knock on wood, but I have pretty good history with air cooled engines.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I don't think Gasoline is much of a problem as the ethanol that is IN the gasoline.

beenthere

Threads
I was putting gasoline into a mower last night and it splashed back out like a fountain and hit me in the face and eyes. There was some old gasoline in the mower and the gas in the can was from last fall. I rinsed my eyes out with water for 20 minutes and think they are OK, but don't know what to do about the mower. I never knew something like this could happen.
Don't think the old gas in the mower nor the gas in the can had anything to do with the splash-back.
Whatever you did to cause it needs to be addressed.
More details would be needed to help you avoid the same happening again.
Avoid pouring so fast, or avoid having face in path of the splash.

Your eye rinsing was a good plan and hope you can find a better way next time.. Albeit, fresh gas is the way to start the season.

Joed756

Threads
Instead of adding fuel stabilizer I moved top Florida where my lawn mowers are never, ever, ever unused for more that two weeks. Never.

mmoffitt

Threads
Don't think the old gas in the mower nor the gas in the can had anything to do with the splash-back.
Whatever you did to cause it needs to be addressed.
More details would be needed to help you avoid the same happening again.
Avoid pouring so fast, or avoid having face in path of the splash.

Your eye rinsing was a good plan and hope you can find a better way next time.. Albeit, fresh gas is the way to start the season.
PPE's doing anything! even around the house..you don't need to be at work to get hurt! googles, gloves and hearing protection!! always!