FYI IS700Z oil filter cap wrench

SirMowzalot

Threads
So I had a bit of difficulty removing the factory installed Briggs oil filter the other day. I had to break out a strap wrench to get it off. Given the heat these engines generate even if you put it on hand-tight like you're supposed to you still may have difficulty removing the filter and need a tool. Since I couldn't find it listed anywhere and had to actually measure the filter I figured I'd post it somewhere searchable. The Wix 51056 which is what I use on mine uses a 75mm 15 flute cap wrench. I picked up this one because it's cheap. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KMULYXU/

As for what the Briggs filters use I have no idea. I tried the same cap wrench on the filter for my Cub and the wrench was too small for the Kohler filter, which the Wix 51056 could also replace. Why do I use the Wix? Because this version has a bigger canister so it holds more oil, and more importantly the particle size filtering is smaller on that particular filter than you would get with others. For a brand new engine I think that's the right choice. After it's good and broken in I may switch to something else with a higher flow rate, but I haven't looked for/found it yet for a Briggs application. Typically with cars I'll use Wix or Mobil 1 filters below 30k miles, and K&N after that to increase the flow rate.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just a heads up using non OEM filters. If you use anything other than OEM Filters on a new engine be it for vehicle, mower, etc. & the engine locks up, internal damage, etc. you can be held responsible & warranty will not cover cost.
Call your Dealer & see what they say.
Just got off phone with Ford Dealership asking hypothetical question: If I purchased a new truck & replaced OEM air filter assy. with say K&N assy. & engine failure happened with cause being stopped up air filter then warranty would be void. I would therefore be held responsible for damage.

Last edited:

SirMowzalot

Threads
Just a heads up using non OEM filters. If you use anything other than OEM Filters on a new engine be it for vehicle, mower, etc. & the engine locks up, internal damage, etc. you can be held responsible & warranty will not cover cost.
Can you show me where it says that in the warranty and/or Operator's manual?

SirMowzalot

Threads
Here, this is what you're probably talking about...

briggsWarranty3pParts.png

All they're saying here is they're not going to give you a new engine if your new Fram filter had a mouse living in it and it kills the engine due to stopping the flow of oil. The same goes for pretty much any manufacturer. Why would Briggs pay to fix your machine if Fram breaks it?

If Briggs sold something as good or better I'd use it. But Briggs has a strategic partnership with Champion, which is who makes those Briggs oil filters. So I have to do what I know is best because I already know I will own this thing well beyond the term of the warranty.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Call your Dealer & see what they say.
Just got off phone with Ford Dealership asking hypothetical question: If I purchased a new truck & replaced OEM air filter assy. with say K&N assy. & engine failure happened with cause being stopped up air filter then warranty would be void. I would therefore be held responsible for damage.
Moot point Mark.
If the aftermarket part is the same or higher specification to the OEM warranty can not be refused.
Air filters are always a problem particularly whaen they are a different design.
If K & N say it complies with the Ford specification then it should be fine to use it.
I have had problems with warranty claims because I fit aftermarket parts.
Referred them to the suppliers then warranty went strait through
Much like the old "All care but no responsibility" signs that used to adorn the walls of most workshops