FX850V dilemma

LawnWizard

Threads
10,000 hours? Wow, that is the first time I've every heard that number. Not saying you're wrong, just never heard anyone say that I should expect that many hours from a mower engine. I pull and replace the outer filter when the indicator says to do so.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well you have done everything right so you should have gotten a lot more service out of that engine.
Domestic engines are designed for a 10 year service life
That works out as 2.5 hours a week for 30 weeks a year for 10 years.
Runs out around 1000 hours and he domestic hydros start to fall apart at around those hours as well.
Commercial grade engines are designed to go 5 hours a day by 5 hours a week by 50 weeks a year for around 10 years
Horozontal shaft engines are designed to last a lot longer because they could be doing more than 5 hours a day and on things like generators 24 hours a day while the power is out.

LawnWizard

Threads
Well you have done everything right so you should have gotten a lot more service out of that engine.
Runs out around 1000 hours and he domestic hydros start to fall apart at around those hours as well.
Commercial grade engines are designed to go 5 hours a day by 5 hours a week by 50 weeks a year for around 10 years
Horozontal shaft engines are designed to last a lot longer because they could be doing more than 5 hours a day and on things like generators 24 hours a day while the power is out.
Bert,
Is the stator and voltage reg the only difference on a S-12 and S-00?

Ariens A19A42

Threads
I'd try some Liqui-Moly Motor Oil Saver. I had the same problems with my mower and changed the oil and put about 25% of this Liqui-Moly in it and she runs like a champ and stopped smoking.in about 2 hrs running time I think if you use gas with alcohol in it then it tends to gum the rings and valve seals up. This cleans them and softens the seals to up more like when they were new.

Liqui-Moly on Amazon-

txmowman

Threads
If you are doing the rebuild yourself, it might be worth while. If you are having it done, I would replace the engine. An FX850V is available in EFI, but you would need to get all the controls side of it through Hustler. If this engine is using oil and smoking, it has been dirt ingested at some point. If maintenance is done as you suggested, possibly an inner air filter was not installed correctly, or if the filter was blown out between changes, which happens a lot. I've seen engines at 2000 hours and still have cross-hatch in the cylinders. Oversized pistons and rings are not available from Kawasaki for this engine.

txmowman

Threads
Engines are designed to ideally last through the warranty period. What is the source of your information?

txmowman

Threads
What's your first take on the compression difference? 35# seems like too big a difference to me???
The 90 psi would typically be more "normal". There is no spec for what it should be, but both cylinders should be within 10% or so of each other. Has there ever been any valve maintenance performed, other than checking valve lash? If lash is set correctly, you could try adding SeaFoam to a tank of fuel.

LawnWizard

Threads
The 90 psi would typically be more "normal". There is no spec for what it should be, but both cylinders should be within 10% or so of each other. Has there ever been any valve maintenance performed, other than checking valve lash? If lash is set correctly, you could try adding SeaFoam to a tank of fuel.
Nothing other that adjusting lash. I did replace head gaskets a couple months (about 300 hours) ago. Everything else appeared fine at that time. The cly with 125# had a blown gasket is why I changed them. Really don't remember checking compression afterwards tho. Ran fine and had much better power. Would mis-adjusting valve lash explain the higher comp number?