Fuel Issues Craftsman LT1000

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If it has a paper element on the fuel filter try replacing the filter with a red briggs screen type filter.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Did this issue just start right out of the blue? Was there any maintenance or repair done right before this issue started? Is your 45 minute time frame based on starting with a full fuel tank every time?

If by chance a fuel filter was recently replaced and a filter designed for a system with a fuel pump got put on by mistake, then a full tank of fuel could have enough gravity on it's side to let fuel flow normally until the fuel tank gets low enough that weight of the fuel is no longer enough to push fuel through the fuel filter. I've also seen it where the fuel line gets replaced with maybe just a bit longer fuel line and now there is a drop somewhere and that can do the same thing. Run fine on a full tank and then when the tank gets down to about half full or so fuel stops flowing.

Canoester

Threads
What engine? (sorry if I did not see the type) I had a similar problem with a 13.5 HP Kohler and it was the fuel pump. I replaced the kohler mechanical pump with a Briggs and Stratton impulse/vacum pump 808656. "Taryl fixes all" on youtube has a couple of videos on the mod...Are you sure its fuel related? Will it fire up with carb cleaner or starting fluid when it quits?

Whalensdad

Threads
Did this issue just start right out of the blue? Was there any maintenance or repair done right before this issue started? Is your 45 minute time frame based on starting with a full fuel tank every time?

If by chance a fuel filter was recently replaced and a filter designed for a system with a fuel pump got put on by mistake, then a full tank of fuel could have enough gravity on it's side to let fuel flow normally until the fuel tank gets low enough that weight of the fuel is no longer enough to push fuel through the fuel filter. I've also seen it where the fuel line gets replaced with maybe just a bit longer fuel line and now there is a drop somewhere and that can do the same thing. Run fine on a full tank and then when the tank gets down to about half full or so fuel stops flowing.
The issue started this summer. Since it first occurred I have rebuilt the carb, put on a new filter, cleaned the fuel tank, added a fuel stop ball valve, and new fuel lines. I was thinking it might have been because the fuel line was longer, so I shortened it, but that had no effect. It does seem to happen when the fuel is at about 1/4 tank. I'll have to investigate that more. The fuel filter is generic. I can certainly see that there is no fuel in the filter when it stalls. If I blow thru the filter into the carb, and reattach the fuel line, the fuel flows for a short time.

What engine? (sorry if I did not see the type) I had a similar problem with a 13.5 HP Kohler and it was the fuel pump. I replaced the kohler mechanical pump with a Briggs and Stratton impulse/vacum pump 808656. "Taryl fixes all" on youtube has a couple of videos on the mod...Are you sure its fuel related? Will it fire up with carb cleaner or starting fluid when it quits?
Not really sure. There is no sticker, so the best guess is either a 13 or 15 HP Command. It doesn't have a fuel pump. It is definitely a fuel problem.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check for gas tank being vented.
Replace fuel filter with a briggs 298090s red 150 micron screen type filter.

shadetree#1

Threads
Gravity fed fuel to the engine. No fuel in the filter until you take it loose and blow back through the line then fuel starts flowing and it will then run for awhile and same thing again.
You have answered your own question.
No fuel flow from the line and tank.
Place a Briggs fuel shutoff in the fuel line and then.
You can take the fuel line off the carb and place it in a gallon container and start fuel flowing and monitor the results. If it stops loosen the fuel cap. If stay same start checking the tank, fuel line, fuel filter, etc.
If you have a clear fuel filter do not expect to see it full of fuel on a gravity fed engine when the engine is running. Sometimes the clear filter will look empty until the fuel line is removed from the filter. (Sounds strange but true)
I keep a portable fuel tank with a connected hose, fuel filter and fuel petcock handy that I can connect directly to the carb when I need to bypass a small engine fuel tank system.