Fuel filter not filling

Pmoon1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a John Deere D170 with a 26 horse Briggs and Stratton engine and it seems to run alright, maybe a little rough but since I ran it out of gas it just doesn’t get hardly any gas in the fuel filter. Being a little obsessive I have changed the fuel pump and the breather tube that goes to the valve cover, unhooked the gas line from the pump on the filter side to see if gas would flow freely from the tank. None of this made it better. And when I say that there’s not much fuel in the filter I mean that there’s barely enough to touch the paper. Should I just blissfully ignore it, maybe wrap the filter with electric tape so I can’t see in it or is there a possible problem?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
sometimes i see clear filters that run fine with very little gas in them, especially pump feed.. my Mule uses a vacuum pump.. set up just like a mower, and there's usually slightly less than half full... if it runs fine and you can mow.. run it..
i would see if removing the gas cap makes the filter fill up, if it does then the tank isn't venting properly and needs to be addressed.

Pmoon1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yeah I did try that too and didn’t have any effect, thanks for the advice though

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it worries you take the filter off and install it backwards
It works exactly the same in either direction except all of the crud will be inside the paper where you can not see it accumulating.
What you are seeing is an air lock because the outlet is almost at the inlet end of the paper filter
So if the outlet is pointing up air gets trapped between the end of the filter and the end of the outlet tube
Laying it almost flat will allow a lot of that air to escape as will hanging it the other way down or fitting it backwards
I keep on forgetting to keep an old dirty one so I can cut it in 1/2 lengthwise so people can see what is happening.
There are about a dozen different filters and some display this tendency worse than others