Fuel and starter solenoid no click. No hour meter.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First off, don’t go beating yourself up for not seeing the problem earlier. Anyone of us who has not done the same thing is lying to you. Glad to hear you’re back in business and we will accept a month of lawn service for our meaningless help.

CrankCase99

Forum Newbie
Threads
First off, don’t go beating yourself up for not seeing the problem earlier. Anyone of us who has not done the same thing is lying to you. Glad to hear you’re back in business and we will accept a month of lawn service for our meaningless help.
Not beating myself up just stating fact for those like me who are learning 1 day at a time.
Thanks Rivets

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I was leaning toward you simply leaving a ground off when you replace the starter solenoid. I was trying not to interfere too much but I was seeing a missing ground from the diagnostics given. I had one several years ago where the grounding terminal was corroded inside the crimp area causing very similar issues where the wiring harness wasn't grounded.

Gord Baker

Threads
Off topic but on my JD X320 there is a 10 or more wire connector close to the switch. When it cranks but does not start I have found that corrosion (not readily visible) inside the connector at pins which prevents the fuel solenoid from operating.
If you cannot hear or feel it click when you switch to ON this may be your problem. I cleaned the pins and applied a very light film of dielectric grease. Sprayed with ZAP battery tender first. Good Stuff.

Joe657

Forum Newbie
Threads
Craftsman model # 917.20390 42" 22HP

Battery volts: Not running 12.6v
Hour meter not displaying.
2 wire connection that goes to hour meter reads 5v. Can hook 12v directly to hour meter and works as normal, 560 hrs. 20amp fuse not blown.
No click on starter solenoid when turning key to start. No click from fuel solenoid when turning key to start position.
Can use jumper cables straight from mower battery negative to frame and positive straight to start. Mower starts and runs just fine. Mower keeps running after turning key to off position. Had to ground out coils with jumper wire to get engine to stop.
Replaced starter solenoid making sure to connect wires as they were on old solenoid exact same results as before.
Tried known good switch same results.
Any help would be appreciated. If you need more info tell me and I will reply.
TY
You most likely have a high resistance (corroded connection) between the battery terminal and your starter solenoid, also affecting the lead to the hour meter, therefore low voltage readings. You will need to check the entire path (wires) between the battery and low voltage devices. Check for obvious corrosion like powdery substance in and around connections, loose or bad connections and crimps. I assume that you have access to a volt meter. If not, get one. You can use a sharp pointed probe to pass through the wire insulation and check wire voltage midway between connections. Rule of thumb: start checking wire voltage at about the half way point between source (battery) and the non-working device (starter, hour meter), and keep halving the wire run until you get the source of the problem. I hope this helps you out, not only here but also in the future. Best wishes.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You most likely have a high resistance (corroded connection) between the battery terminal and your starter solenoid, also affecting the lead to the hour meter, therefore low voltage readings. You will need to check the entire path (wires) between the battery and low voltage devices. Check for obvious corrosion like powdery substance in and around connections, loose or bad connections and crimps. I assume that you have access to a volt meter. If not, get one. You can use a sharp pointed probe to pass through the wire insulation and check wire voltage midway between connections. Rule of thumb: start checking wire voltage at about the half way point between source (battery) and the non-working device (starter, hour meter), and keep halving the wire run until you get the source of the problem. I hope this helps you out, not only here but also in the future. Best wishes.
If you had fully read the thread you would have seen that the OP solved the problem in post #10 Which was a self induced grounding issue.