FS 56-RC not running very good

gmacmopar

Threads
Ok I'm back!! I have my step daughters weed eater and I have cleaned the air and fuel filter, checked and cleaned the spark plug and regapped it.You can start it but it doesn't run well kinda like an idle but shakes and then dies. Do you think it's a dirty carb or do I need to readjust the carb? The manual doesn't really help me at all.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Have you removed and cleaned the exhaust screen.

DaveTN

Threads
I had a friend drop off a Craftsman weed eater about a week ago. Said he couldn't get it
started. I looked at the carb and pulled the plate w/ the single screw near the idle adjuster.
Screen full of some kind of brown crystalized gunk. I sprayed it out with carb cleaner and
cleaned the diaphragm. Sprayed out the holes in the carb as well and put it together and
gave it a pull. It started but was acting similar to yours but kept running on a rough idle. I
turned open the "L" Low Side (nearest to the block) about a 1/4 turn and it cleared up some,
then a little more until it leveled out and throttled up. Still it could stand a boiling out as it
never hurts to do that as I will later on today. You can try to enrich the "L" side and check it
for idle and throttle up; can't hurt. Also I took out the "L" and "H" screws and sprayed them
out as well and reinstalled and adjusted the mixture on both.

Last edited:

gmacmopar

Threads
Thanks for the replies if you think it might be the spark arrestor I was thinking the same. I haven't checked that yet but I will. and to Dave the carb looks very clean but if the spark arrestor is ok I will pull the adj screws out and clean them. Does anybody know the correct settings for the high and low idle screws?

gmacmopar

Threads
Ok took the exhaust screen out and it was packed. cleaned it up with some gas and a wire brush and the trimmer works fine. Thank You Lawn Pro for providing me that valuable info and have a great day!!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The spark arrestors clog up because the string it too big so the engine is labouring or the fuel mix has too much oil
More is not better when it comes to premix

gmacmopar

Threads
Yeah I kinda know who put the premix in the trimmer I don't know about the string but the same guy that messed up the chainsaw that I posted about. He is like a BULL IN A CHINA SHOP if you know what I mean. Regardless it is running now so I will explain to his wife who now is in charge what to do. Thank You for all of your help!!!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yeah I kinda know who put the premix in the trimmer I don't know about the string but the same guy that messed up the chainsaw that I posted about. He is like a BULL IN A CHINA SHOP if you know what I mean. Regardless it is running now so I will explain to his wife who now is in charge what to do. Thank You for all of your help!!!
Don't feel bad about the bull in the China shop. I have a customer I think if she had anvils in her yard she would try to mow them off.