From a 4 to a 3.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Y'all remember the 1 to 10 scale someone posted about a few months ago, I slipped a notch yesterday.
Old Murray rider with a bad battery.
Replaced it and still got nothing. The solenoid wouldn't click. So I replaced it along with the fuse, and still nothing.
Turned out to be the PTO lever wasn't making contact with the safety switch.
I'm such a dummy sometimes.
If the safety switch hadn't been so visible and easily accessible, and easy to fix, I wouldn't feel so bad. It took like 2 seconds to free up the arm that makes contact with that switch.

So to punish myself, I'm gonna put the customers solenoid back on. Don't wanna be a dummy and a crook too. LoL.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
As long you learned to do voltage tests before replacing next time. I called it a learning experience.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
As long you learned to do voltage tests before replacing next time. I called it a learning experience.

There's like 5 different tests, other than that one, that could've been done. I think I tested 4.lol
I checked the fuse, the fuse plug (both of which have nothing to do with the solenoid. But will have the same affect as a bad solenoid.
I checked the voltage going to the battery. Checked the key switch. Checked to see if their was 12v going to the small wire to solenoid. That should've been where I realized it wasn't the solenoid.

Experience is something that comes every day for us new guys. When I've learned as much as you, @bertsmobile1, @Rivets, @ILENGINE and a couple of the other pro's, I think I'll get bored with small engine repair. Maybe by then, I'll just be selling new equipment and letting some hands do the fixin.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
PT when you think you have a good handle on things something new will pop up and give you a swift kick in the seat. Wait until you have a step by step ignition diagnostics flow chart that fails to find the issue why you have no spark at the spark plug. And the solution is a faulty voltage regulator and isn't part of the ignition diagnostics.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not one of the experienced techs on this forum has ever made a mistake, but each of us have had a lot of “learning experiences”. You might as well realize that you just joined the club.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I thought i made a mistake once but i was wrong. But i did learn something.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
History , mythology & religion records very few who have "never made a mistake " and none of them had a happy ending. ? :mad::poop:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Good to see you back bert. I could write a book on all the mistakes i have made. If you learn from your mistakes i should be the smartest guy in the world but it doesn't seem to work that way.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I sure wished they still made mowers like this Murray. Everything is easy to find and reach.