FD 731v not Fr731v as I always type. Edited ... Starts but dies suddenly

Silviasil

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / FD 731v not Fr731v as I always type. Edited ... Starts but dies suddenly
Thanks for all of the great replies.
I have ran a wire directly from the battery to the solenoid and got the same results and the same humming and clicking noise from the solenoid. I'm trying to find some new fuel line but doik ow what the correct size it I bought some it was too small OD and very thin wall , it would probably work but I think the thicker wall would be better. I need some fuel line to add a shut off as my mower doesn't have one. ( Cheap Badboy) Not inexpensive but cheap! My new solenoid shouldn't be in by Friday. I am hoping
To make a long story shorter, I took that solenoid off, turned it upside down and sprayed carb cleaner in the plunger side and got out really fine grit. Works fine now. I think the fine dirt was keeping the fine spring from totally collapsing barely allowing the plunger to open for fuel to flow. Good luck

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
When a small engine quits suddenly, it is often spark not fuel. The Kawasaki 's most often have a trigger on the side of the block easily replaced which can be intermittent. you can buy a cheap inline spark neon bulb to watch if the spark disappears when it quits.
You can duplicate it with any mower. Pushers are easy. Let go of the deadman lever and listen to the engine slowly wind down. This kills the ignition. Hold the lever in just a touch from not touching. This keep the flywheel brake away from flywheel. Flywheel will slowly wind down from engine compression.

Last edited:

Hardluck

Threads
Thank you I'll give that a try. That one is something I wish I had thought of weeks ago.

Hardluck

Threads
Tried cleaning the solenoid with carb cleaner and still no go. It still makes the clicking sound.

Question, With the solenoid out of the carb and the wire attached, touching the ground to. get a small spark (of course) but no clicking or solenoid pin moving. Does that seen right. Shouldn't it click or move in and out? What is the clicking sound coming from when the solenoid is installed in the carb?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Tried cleaning the solenoid with carb cleaner and still no go. It still makes the clicking sound.
Sound has zero to do with it working. Plunger shaft could be corroded off. Solenoid still clicking away. You need to visually test this part with a 9 volt or turn the key on and off. Simple as that. No need for 4 pages of correspondence.

2 wires on most solenoids. One has 12 volts key on. 0 volts key off. Other wire, last one in the harness, no other wires present, is the ground. So we've narrowed it down to 2 wires. Everyone with us?

All you have to do is remove the carb bowl looking AT the after fire solenoid plunger. Turn the key on and off. Plunger should extend and retract. That's it guys. And I'm spent.....

Hardluck

Threads
Thanks.

Hardluck

Threads
Looking for a replacement carburetor for this badboy.
I have replaced everything else. It now starts pretty easy but only runs for a few seconds..... Again.I did replace the carburetor solenoid, which was also bad and it at least starts again.
It seems to a fuel problem and I have replaced the fuel filter and pump. I tried to clean the carb but didn't take it apart. It's beyond my capability as old and disabled as I am.

I am hoping to be able to remove and replace the carburetor with a new one.
Kawasaki
Engine model is FD731V-AS09.
Kawasaki parts lookup is terrible. They want you to go to a dealer even to get a part number.
Where can I a reasonable priced carb?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thank you.
How do I check the ground? This only has 1 wire , hot, going to the solenoid,,
In that case it grounds through the carburettor body
On rubber mounted carbs there should be a grounding strap that goes on one of the carb studs .
These often break or fall off unnoticed when the carb is removed as there is generally a fir bit of gunk there .
heck the body of the carb to the engine for continuity and same with the solenoid
Pull the plug off the solenoid and check if the solenoid has 1 or 2 pins
Never seen a Kawakasi engine with a single pin solenoid , usually they are 2 pin

Hardluck

Threads
In that case it grounds through the carburettor body
On rubber mounted carbs there should be a grounding strap that goes on one of the carb studs .
These often break or fall off unnoticed when the carb is removed as there is generally a fir bit of gunk there .
heck the body of the carb to the engine for continuity and same with the solenoid
Pull the plug off the solenoid and check if the solenoid has 1 or 2 pins
Never seen a Kawakasi engine with a single pin solenoid , usually they are 2 pin
Thanks, solenoid was bad and has been replaced. The new one works fine. But engine dies I. A second or siy. It restarted immediately. Repeat repeat and so in.

Hardluck

Threads
I am looking for a video on cleaning the carburetor . I saw