FR730V governor sticking

Eggbert

Threads
The governor is sticking, or so it would appear. When I start it, it goes to a very high rpm for a few moments, then settles down to normal. When I change the throttle from low to high and vice-versa, there's a few seconds delay.

All linkages look OK and move freely, but governor shaft where it comes out of the engine looked a little rusty so I squirted some oil on it. The governor response was much improved. Is there an easy way to fix this or am I looking at tearing the engine apart?

Is that I seal I see where the shaft comes out? Can it be removed easily and the shaft cleaned an oiled where it goes?

Was thinking of penetrating oil, work it a bit, then regular oil hoping it will seep in.

Any thoughts?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
That 92049-7019 (8X14X5) oil seal is a real pain to remove while the governor cross shaft is still in place without damaging the shaft or it mounting place. I had to make my own tool to remove it. Even then it is still a pain to get out. IF the seal is not leaking no oil or penerating fuild will get pass it.

txmowman

Threads
If the delay is due to the governor shaft sticking, this would be unusual as the moving parts are behind the seal. These parts are sitting in oil, so there is no need to spray any lubricant. If, what is happening is when you go from low to high idle (turtle to rabbit), the rpm response is delayed and vice versa, this would likely be the nylon ball guide that holds the ball bearing fly weights. For this, you would need to split the case. The governor parts are on the end of the camshaft.

geelee

Threads
on this model the governor parts are built onto the cam. there is a plastic ball Seperator that is held onto the cam by 2 little plastic pins, they broke. thats why you get the delay action. need to pull oil pan and replace that part

Eggbert

Threads
T-y for your replies. I didn't know there were any as I didn't get any auto-generated e-mails telling me that. Must check into it.

I was sort of hoping it was the shaft. I live in the rust belt and the shaft is a bit rusty. I suspected that the rust continued past the outer edge of the seal a bit and was causing the shaft to stick a bit, or delay rotation slightly.

Pulling the engine and splitting the case isn't something I have a problem doing other than it's time consuming, so will likely put it off until the end of season and hope any plastic parts inside won't cause more serious damage.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
T-y for your replies. I didn't know there were any as I didn't get any auto-generated e-mails telling me that. Must check into it.

I was sort of hoping it was the shaft. I live in the rust belt and the shaft is a bit rusty. I suspected that the rust continued past the outer edge of the seal a bit and was causing the shaft to stick a bit, or delay rotation slightly.

Pulling the engine and splitting the case isn't something I have a problem doing other than it's time consuming, so will likely put it off until the end of season and hope any plastic parts inside won't cause more serious damage.
Excellent plan
NEver a good idea to try a major repair when the mower is in regular use as rushing through a job is the best way to make silly mistakes .

Eggbert

Threads
Looks bad. No gov. action at all. (slows down going up hill, etc.) Gov lever doesn't move. ....sigh.........

Eggbert

Threads
I did find a YouTube video on it, so now I understand it better. Might not be as labour intensive as I thought.

So I decided to look up that plastic guide and it's only about $4, but they don't show a gasket for between the upper and lower halves of the case. There was one in the video, but that might have been a different model engine.

Does anyone know if there is a gasket? If not, I presume silicon? Comments? T-Y.

txmowman

Threads
No gasket, just sealant. Kawasaki p/n 92104-0007. Or, Threebond 1211 or equivalent. Pulling the engine would be the most labor intensive part. I highly recommend you replace all snap rings with new. And, make sure you get the washers back in the same place.

Eggbert

Threads
Well, not so good news. The governor guide finally came in (Sept 13) after being backordered since August 4th. So today I got the engine out and removed the base cover. All parts look perfect. That's the bad news... I don't know what's wrong. Maybe something was stuck and became unstuck when I took things apart. The governor arm/shaft, which wouldn't budge with engine running or not, moves easily now.

I'm sure that my troublehsooting was OK, but that was over a month and a half ago, so now I"m not sure. I will check hte carb again to make sure it's not sticking, even though I'm sure I already did that and it was fine.

Any thoughts?