Four-stroke

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a 4-stroke lawn boy that's just like the two-stroke one Twostroke has for an avatar.

The deck is falling apart.

The tecumseh smokes like crazy. (go figure)

The blade was on UPSIDE DOWN, and the 'wings' were ground off

But it mowed as well as my snapper (the best cut I have, by far.)!

Love to find one of these again. It's self-propelled, has a three-way system on it (where you take out a plastic plate and put in a mulching plug), and has the front/side-discharge system that gives the Lawn-boys their unmistakably strange wheel array.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a 4-stroke lawn boy that's just like the two-stroke one Twostroke has for an avatar.

Love to find one of these again. It's self-propelled, has a three-way system on it (where you take out a plastic plate and put in a mulching plug), and has the front/side-discharge system that gives the Lawn-boys their unmistakably strange wheel array.

Interesting, I have 3 older two stroke Lawn Boys but never knew they made a 4 stroke model at one time...have to research that.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
My brother had a 4 cycle years ago...
I think all of the new ones are 4 cycle also... at least the ones I have seen recently have Briggs & Stratton engines on them. :smile:KennyV

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
Interesting, I have 3 older two stroke Lawn Boys but never knew they made a 4 stroke model at one time...have to research that.

It appears to be relatively (6 or 7yrs i'd guess) new. There's a bar code laser etched to a sticker at the base of the block. I thought at first it was a kaw.

The new ones are just an mtd clone. They don't have the fron/side chute like the old ones. At least the ones Home Depot were just clones.

Also, mine has wide tires, and hubcaps

Single speed self-prop.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
It appears to be relatively (6 or 7yrs i'd guess) new. There's a bar code laser etched to a sticker at the base of the block. I thought at first it was a kaw.

The new ones are just an mtd clone. They don't have the fron/side chute like the old ones. At least the ones Home Depot were just clones.

Also, mine has wide tires, and hubcaps

Single speed self-prop.

That explains it, I was thinking yours was an older model if it looked like the one in Two-Stroke's avatar. I have looked at the newer ones at HD, they don't even offer side discharge unless you purchase an accessory discharge chute.

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
That explains it, I was thinking yours was an older model if it looked like the one in Two-Stroke's avatar. I have looked at the newer ones at HD, they don't even offer side discharge unless you purchase an accessory discharge chute.

They made them longer than you'd think. (the weird looking ones) Could be from the 90's. I keep forgetting it's 2011!

That probably won't get any better as time marches on, eh?

scorpwrench

Threads
JDgreen is partially right about the new LB's. It's true they don't give you a side discharge chute with the mower but when you register your warranty online you can request one & they will send it to you free of charge.

mattinky

Forum Newbie
Threads

Hello Twall,

I just bought a 96-97 Lawnboy with the Tecumseh 5.5 4 cycle engine for $15 that starts each time, but it too smokes like crazy. Did you ever figure out what was causing yours to smoke? Bad gaskets? Rings?

Thanks.