Flywheel Will Not Come Off!

Alex Ethridge

Threads
Briggs Mfg. No: 09P602-0076-F1 (parts manual attached)
There are two flywheels listed in the parts manual, a two-piece and a one-piece, Mine is Briggs part number 590544, the one-piece (example picture attached).

The flywheel key is sheared and offset by probably fifteen degrees or more (see attached image).

I have tried the Briggs flywheel puller and no luck. I tightened the puller bolts until they eventually bottomed out in the flywheel. Then I tightened the pulling nuts until eventually, the flywheel stripped and the puller bolts pulled out. I'm not reticent to boring the flywheel deeper and tapping it, even all the way through but I want to check here of other solutions first. When I had my little garage mower shop 40+ years ago, I don't remember that puller ever failing me but this flywheel is not budging.

Attachments

• Illustrated Parts List Briggs Engine 09P602-0076-F1.pdf
    553 KB · Views: 0
  • Sheared Flywheel Key Cropped.JPG
    Sheared Flywheel Key Cropped.JPG
    518.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Flywheel Puller 19069.jpg
    Flywheel Puller 19069.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Briggs Flywhewel 590544.jpg
    Briggs Flywhewel 590544.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 5

Bertrrr

Threads
I usually drive a couple of chizles at 90 degrees apart then hit the top of the crankshaft with a 2 lb ball pene hammer a good lick and it pops up for me - Do that and apply a little heat if it does not pop up for you

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I never have used that puller. What I use here is a harmonic balancer puller. On stubborn flywheels I usually just it pull very tight and smack the forcing screw and retighten as the flywheel moves and repeat until comes off. As far 14 yrs I only had one flywheel I come not removed and that was one some idiot tighten the nut with an impact as basically welded the flywheel to crankshaft. In your case it will be wedge pretty darn tight so it will a very hard pull.

You will need to enlarge the pulling holes and rethread now since they stripped out.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
From the start
remove the spark plug
rotate the engine till the inlet valve just starts to close ( should be bottom dead center )
Get some 1/2" platted rope and stuff it down the plug hole hard then turn the engine backwards till it jambs on the rope
Warm the flywheel boss
thread a bolt in each puller hole
Slip a bar between the bolts (NOT THE FINS ) and use that to turn the flywheel backwards till the key lines up with the key slot
Put the nut back on the crankshaft leaving it loose about 1 turn
Now put a couple of pry bars under the flywheel and push down on one with your foot & the other with your hand ( or find a helper )
Then smack the nut with the biggest hammer you can get your hands on
The flywheel is on a taper so once it moves a couple of thou it will free .

The edge of the broken key tends to get caught up on the threads
Tapers respond better to shock loads than strait pulls