First zero turn purchase

Cokeman277296

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've been cutting about 2 acres with a bolens 38' 12hp mower for several years now. In the market for my 1st zero turn. So far I've looked at the scag liberty z 48', spartan rz 48 and the Big dog alpha mp 48'. What are yalls thoughts? Any other recommendations?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The Scag is a basic machine but very robust
I never see any problems with the Liberty models, higher up the chain the scags use modules that are forever giving customers grief
The Spartan is the highest order mower in its price range & offers the best value for the $ , providing the new Toro made ones are the same as the old ones
They were over engineered & over built to make sure there were no warranty claims & to build a good reputation.
The Big Dog is again a basic mower, well built the only down side is it has a lot of unique parts so only Big Dog blades and if the blade - deck combination does not suit your grass.
Don't be fooled by massive acres/hour as all of them are just the width of the deck & the max forward speed and he onlly time you can mow full speed is in winter when you are only lopping off 1/2".
Most times you are limited by the volume capacity of the deck and the volume capacity of the discharge hole in the deck ( bigger is better )

Lawn Addict
Threads
Liberty 48, but I'm possibly biased, having one since last July..

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would pick the Scag.

Cokeman277296

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm leaning towards the spartan simply because the it gave me more room per say. I'm 6"2 285lbs and I felt cramped sitting on the scag. Only thing I didn't like on the spartan is the keypad. As far as I know the seat on the scag is not adjusted. They are the only 2 in close proximity to my house so it will be one or the other probably.

bkeller500

Threads
I guess it would depend on several factors. Besides 2-acres of mowing, are there any hills to climb? Any attachments that need to be pulled? Any snow duties? Is traction a factor? Do you pull a fertilizer spreader? Would a tractor with more hp and a 54" or 60" deck be worthy of consideration? I love my ZT, but I miss my Tractor.

Cokeman277296

Forum Newbie
Threads
I mow 2 yards. Mine and my parents. My back yard has a slight incline. I normally cut it with my walk behind sting trimmer. My current mower sits so low to the ground it gets stuck. It even gets stuck driving it up on my trailer. I have to pick up the back of the mower to get it on. I won't be pulling anything. Snow isn't a issue as we hardly get any.

bkeller500

Threads
I mow 2 yards. Mine and my parents. My back yard has a slight incline. I normally cut it with my walk behind sting trimmer. My current mower sits so low to the ground it gets stuck. It even gets stuck driving it up on my trailer. I have to pick up the back of the mower to get it on. I won't be pulling anything. Snow isn't a issue as we hardly get any.
A ZT may get stuck going up on that trailer also......depending on the height it could bottom out like your current tractor does. I would assume that is caused by the deck bottoming out. Lifting a ZT ( all the weight is on the rear) could be a bigger problem. There are so may good option available. Each mfg has entry level, mid-range and professional models. I would think a mid-range would be more than adequate for 2-acres. You want a serviceable machine ( one you can grease, lubricate, and service ) with a comfortable seat for your larger frame :). Larger wheels and tires make the ride smoother and you get less deck tilting on turns. I struggled looking at Toro, ExMark, Scag, Ferris & Simplicity. I probably could have been happy with any of them but settled on a Simplicity XT ( which is a Ferris design with the striping roller added). With 2-acres you may be inclined to want to more faster than with a smaller property. You have more ground to cover and the tendency with a ZT is to increase ground speed as you mow flat ground. That makes the deck a important factor. Which deck will handle a lot of grass and cut it evenly and discharge it without windrows? Finding one in stock at this time of year could prove to be a challenge as supplies have been limited all season.

Cokeman277296

Forum Newbie
Threads
My current mower is 20+ years old. Even with the deck raised its only like 4 inches off the ground. Scag only had like 2 liberty z. But the spartan dealership had a 30 to 40 mowers on Hand. I think I'm going to wait to try and catch either a year end sale or 1st of the year.

Lawn Addict
Threads
How is the warranty on the Spartan ? Scag mowers sell fast..