exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Oops 907254 :) do a forum search I made a thread about it. It's a good machine

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I will say the cub cadet.

I like toro's but I like the cub deck a little better.

I feel you can not go wrong with cub cadet
Now you always have people say they won't buy anything made by MTD but they can never give a good reason.

cazten

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is the toro much more powerful?

190cc Briggs Stratton vs 159cc cub cadet. Does cub cadet really make it?

I wanna make sure whatever I get isn't going to bog down if it hits some meaty or tall grass

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Cast deck is only available at the dealers. Cars and I disagree on MTD, I hate them he likes them. You'll have to do your home work. I can tell you that a can find a Yard Machine and a Cub Cadet with interchangeable parts. Enough said. If you are going to buy at a big box store and not a coil, I say it's a coin flip.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Cast deck is only available at the dealers. Cars and I disagree on MTD, I hate them he likes them. You'll have to do your home work. I can tell you that a can find a Yard Machine and a Cub Cadet with interchangeable parts. Enough said. If you are going to buy at a big box store and not a coil, I say it's a coin flip.

I really don't understand the reference about Yard Machine and a Cub Cadet having interchangeable parts. I mean so what? MTD makes parts for probably 25 to 30 different brands of outdoor equipment and probably a lot of things will interchange but that doesn't necessarily make them all bad. Mtd just like Briggs and Stratton is in bed with everybody that can make them money it doesn't matter who it is and my guess would be there are probably a lot of parts that interchange. The OP is trying to find the best value for a sub $400 mower and you and I know in that price range the differences really aren't that much different between brands of mowers.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Why buy the Cub Cadet when you can buy a Yard Machine in basically the same model for less. Just a different color and decals.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As you said the OP asked for the best valve for his buck. I have more MTD mowers on the scrap pile every year than any other brand. It used to be Murrays. Do I have Toros on that same pile? Yes, but when you look for the born on date, the Toros a usually much older. If you like and want MTD units you have many to choose from, but in my opinion you are not getting the most out of your money. Ric, the one you posted, sells for $79-99 in this area, and I add two or three each year, because of the long crankshaft that bends easily if the happy homeowner hits something. The OP asked for advice and I gave him advice from what I have seen in my experience. if today's major brands were still building the quality units they did 15 years ago, my advice would be vastly different.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
The only thing about yard machines and mtd brand mowers I don't like is the transmission and wheels. It's all very cheaply made and will not stand up to the test of time (home owner) the deck, engine, handle and bag are all fine and with care will last a long time.