Fines For Lawns Not Green Enough!

BWH

Threads
As reported on Fox News this morning a homeowners association in a California community is going to enforce an ordinance that fines homeowners for not having green enough lawns!

Isn't California also fining people for watering lawns in their drought?

Darn if you do / Darn if you don't :rolleyes:

Mike88se

Threads
As reported on Fox News this morning a homeowners association in a California community is going to enforce an ordinance that fines homeowners for not having green enough lawns!

Isn't California also fining people for watering lawns in their drought?

Darn if you do / Darn if you don't :rolleyes:

This should be something we can all agree on. There's a lot of HOAs that are totally out of control. Even here in Texas HOAs have way too much power. If an HOA here says your grass is too long and you don't cut it within a certain amount of time they will hire a contractor to cut it and charge the homeowner a lot more than the contractor would. And you don't have a choice of paying. The HOA can legally seize ownership of your home.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would never sign an HOA. I'm surprised that so many people do. Many probably don't really know what they're getting into.

davbell22602

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think I'd rather live at the county jail or state pen before living under HOA rules.

Mike88se

Threads
I would never sign an HOA. I'm surprised that so many people do. Many probably don't really know what they're getting into.

I don't think you have a choice whether to join or not. You don't here.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't think you have a choice whether to join or not. You don't here.

I think it depends when you move in. If the hoa is established when you move in you sign up or don't move in. If the hoa is established after you move in your not obligated to sign up I have a customer in a hoa who lived there first and doesn't have to sign up even tho they get harassed to do so

Mike88se

Threads
I think it depends when you move in. If the hoa is established when you move in you sign up or don't move in. If the hoa is established after you move in your not obligated to sign up I have a customer in a hoa who lived there first and doesn't have to sign up even tho they get harassed to do so

I think you're right. I live in an old neighborhood and there are some businesses in some houses and homes with water wells and such that are grandfathered in because they were here before the HOA was formed. And the HOA is pretty reasonable about things. I have a relative that lives in one of those like the one the OP mentioned. The least little thing and they'll have their lawyers (probably related ;)) fire off a registered letter... for $35.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I lived in a subdivision the hoa told me I could not have my race car in my yard because it did not have a tag on it.
So I bought 4 of the ugliest cars I could find and got tags for them.

Bison

Threads
You Mericans are nutz.:confused2:

I'm sooo glad i live in Canada :thumbsup:

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I live in a house in an old city neighborhood that was built way before HOAs were invented. But instead of HOAs we have zillions of zoning rules that could be used to harass almost anybody. The saving grace is that the complainer (almost always a woman with too much time on her hands) has to convince somebody down at city hall to actually do something about it. :laughing:

I also have a house way out in the country where the only zoning rule (as far as I know) is that you have to have a proper septic system (you can't dump raw sewage into the ground water -- very reasonable). I'm sure the people around there would think it's absurd to have rules about mowing lawns and vehicles without tags. They do mow their lawns but they also have lots of vehicles of all types -- most without tags. :laughing:

HOAs are mostly a suburban thing. You don't see them in the city or in the country. I never thought of that until this thread. :confused2: