Figuring out year of manufacture is driving me nuts

smhardesty

Threads
View attachment 62977
From Jacks Small Engine site. I think your model number is slightly wrong.

Zue. That isn't the model number of this mower. I just posted a reply that lists the correct model number. It is 11A-02B752. I tried using Jack's to locate info and parts, but that model isn't in their database yet.

smhardesty

Threads
Why do you need to know this? If you have the model number that's all you need for getting parts. What does the year have to do with anything? Another thing. You are looking at two organizations here. MTD (under the Remington brand) put's the machine together - that's their year. The engine from Briggs could have been built 5 years earlier for all you know. So, once again, what does the year have to do with anything?

Well, I need the date of manufacture for a couple of reasons. First, there are some parts that are different based on the year of manufacture. That is really evident in the carburetors, for one. I needed to be sure I had the correct model year. So far, I haven't needed to order any parts that require knowing the year, but I didn't know that when I first started working on this thing. Secondly, I am refurbishing these mowers to resell to local people. A mower that is 8, 10, or more years old doesn't profit from knowing the year. However, a mower that is KNOWN to be a one or two year old model garners greater interest from potential buyers. The average Joe doesn't really know the difference between make and model of the mower OR the engine, but he DOES know that a 1 year old mower should be a good one. Never mind that the truth might be that a 1 year old mower could have been abused and beaten to death. All Joe sees is the fact that it is a 1 year old mower.

And I am fully and completely aware of the fact that MTD built the mower using a Briggs engine. I had a small engine repair shop for several years while I still operated my computer business. Working on small engines allowed me to decompress from sitting and string into a computer monitor all day. So, this ain't my first rodeo.

Finally, the engine was built on the 23rd day of October, 2021. That data is stamped on the engine case. I mentioned in an earlier post that the mower is probably a 2022 model since the engine wasn't produce until October of 2021. And, once again, I'm fully aware that finished products using engines manufactured by other companies might very well be a different model year than the engine. And again, this ain't my first rodeo.

smhardesty

Threads
Have you tried contacting MTD? Do you have a warranty claim? Don't worry about it.

Nope. No sense in trying to contact MTD. I buy mowers I find around the area and refurb them for resell. I wouldn't attempt to make a warranty claim. Doing the repairs ans refurbishing is what I do. LOL! After finding the DOM on the engine case, I know that the mower is only one year old. It was originally purchased by a young couple that never serviced it. They never even cleaned the air filter. They also let it sit outside. The little gal told me that they occasionally pushed it kind of under the front porch, if they remembered to. It wasn't overly abused, just not maintained. I have it running like an old sewing machine now. I'm just waiting for my oil extractor pump to get here so I can change the oil. Then, I'll give it one hell of a good cleaning and will give the whole thing a good dose of Armor All. That makes them shine like a new one. Buyers are impressed with mowers that are really clean and shiny. LOL! It's worth an extra 10% to 20% on the asking price.

slugaservice

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK, I just now registered because I think I'm losing my mind. I'm trying to determine the year of manufacture for a lawn mower I just picked up. It is a Remington, 20", side discharge mower with a Briggs engine model number 08P502-0167-F1 and a serial number of 2110238970214. I have searched the 'Net high and low and every site I find that says it will tell me the year doesn't do that. I've followed all the deciphering on all the different sites I found and every one of them has a number where I have a letter or vice versa.

Can anyone tell me for certain what year this thing is? If it helps, the MTD model number is 11A-02B7752 and a serial number of 1L08MK11755. And if anyone has a link to a website that truly does correctly decipher Briggs model numbers to determine year, I'd love to have that link.
It's a 2021, first 2 digits of serial and the M in the MTD serial number confirms it.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
It's a 2021, first 2 digits of serial and the M in the MTD serial number confirms it.
It is a 2022 The 1L08M is December 8 2021 but with MTD serial numbers any product built in November or December aka K or L is designed for the next model year so In this case the December build date make it a 2022 model year.

smhardesty

Threads
It is a 2022 The 1L08M is December 8 2021 but with MTD serial numbers any product built in November or December aka K or L is designed for the next model year so In this case the December build date make it a 2022 model year.

OK. That's pretty much what I figured. I just didn't see how it could be a 2021 model if the engine wasn't produced until October of 2021. I know the kid I got it from told me that they had purchased the mower new at the beginning of this year's mowing season, which probably means it was a 2022 model. It's possible that there was still a 2021 leftover from last year, but not many places carry inventory from year to year anymore. With the DOM of the Briggs engine being October of 2021 and the kid saying they bought it this year, it makes perfect sense that it is a 2022 model.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Boy I smell smoke....:LOL: That clearing out the cobwebs like firing up a seldom used heater.

Please it is just a little joking around. Glad you finally made sense out of things.