Ferris IS2600Z Drive Belt Nightmare

neighborbill

Threads
I've ordered a special thin long 3/8 wrench that should fit under the pulley that i've talked about in my messages.
If it works, I'll be able to reroute the belt.
Amazon says they'll deliver tomorrow. Wouldn't that be wonderful if it works.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Will dropping the deck allow you easier access?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Are you sure you not confusing thread size with the hex size? A 3/8-16 hex screw normally has a 9/16 wrench size.

neighborbill

Threads
Are you sure you not confusing thread size with the hex size? A 3/8-16 hex screw normally has a 9/16 wrench size.
5025013X22 1 BOLT, 3/8-16 X 2-3/4" GD5 CZ
This is what the parts book says.

neighborbill

Threads
Will dropping the deck allow you easier access?
Funny you should say that. I was looking at what it would take to do that this morning
I am contemplating that as an option too.

neighborbill

Threads
5025013X22 1 BOLT, 3/8-16 X 2-3/4" GD5 CZ
This is what the parts book says.
I thought that the head on that bolt looked aweful big for a 3/8 wrench.
I'm 77 and still learning things that I didn't know.
Now I'm going to have a nice long 3/8 wrench.

callwill

Threads
You would have thought someone would have paid attention to the area's of maintenance and repair.
They dont pay engineers for that any more. My brother in law who works on cars always reminds me that those things we call quick disconnects are not that at all...they are quick connects to make assembly line work faster and as mistake free as they can, some of those things are almost impossible to get at for disassembly. Nothing is about servicing when its being built. Its all about saving pennies for faster assembly and sales. Thats what they hire the engineers for. They have no care about how how difficult service is as they expect you will be paying someone for that too and its just more (of your) money for everyone else!

RevB

Threads
If you can’t get it off and decide to cut it, how will you get the new belt on?
You are going to have to remove the deck belt first.
You are then going to have to unplug your PTO clutch and remove the PTO anti-rotation bolt.
You are then going to release the tension spring on the hydraulic drive tensioner pulley.
Now, you are ready to remove the belt. Replace in reverse manner.
I know that this video isn’t for your mower. However, the procedure is similar.
The other option is to load it up and take it to the dealer.

Thank you! I'm yelling at the suggestion to "cut it off".....🤔🤫

neighborbill

Threads
Thank you! I'm yelling at the suggestion to "cut it off".....🤔🤫
This is the closest video that I have found on this subject. I've watched it several times.
Best way I can think of telling you about putting it back on. The belt is trapped now and disassembly is necessary to get it out.
When You install the new one, it gets routed differently so that it is not trapped the same way. Disassembly is the problem now. You can't get to the area that needs to be removed.
Had the belt broken, it would have been easy to get out.
lf I were just replacing and it wasn't trapped like it is, then it would be easy.
My friend is back from vacation. He will be coming over soon. If he concludes the problem like I have, then we'll cut it off. Putting the new in will take two people. One on the bottom and one on the top. Push/pull.
Need the new belt first. Dealer now says there is a delay in the shipping process? Briggs tells me all the belts have been used up for the season by landscapers. New ones are on their way.
Local dealers for Ferris don't want to work on the machine because it wasn't purchased there. Briggs (Ferris) says they can't make the dealer work on it if they don't want to. "But it's still under warranty"
I'll have to take it back to the original dealer. Not what I was told when I bought the machine.

RevB

Threads
I thought that the head on that bolt looked aweful big for a 3/8 wrench.
I'm 77 and still learning things that I didn't know.
Now I'm going to have a nice long 3/8 wrench.
It's a 3/8" bolt...the head could be anything. The spec does not say 3/8" head.....