Faulty Fuel Pump

NonameemanOn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello
I recently installed a new fuel pump on my lawnmower. I checked the fuel pump by removing the hose from the outlet of the pump. I dumped some gas into the hose feeding the carburetor. The engine started but the fuel pump was not pumping any gas. There is gas in the line from the gas tank and gas filter to the fuel pump. Is there anyway that I am not getting a proper vacuum from the valve cover or is that impossible. Did I buy a faulty pump.

Thanks

Briggs & Stratton 597338 Fuel Pump, Black​

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The inlet & outlet are on the sides
The impulse line is on the top
the impulse line & inlet point the same way
Have you hooked it up correct ?

NonameemanOn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes it is installed correctly. It is impossible to install it incorrectly without running new gas line.
Yes there is gas in the gas tank haha

configuration of the pump is inlet 3 o’clock outlet 9 o’clock and vacuum 6 o’clock

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can attach a length of hose to the impulse port and use your mouth to pulse pressure back and forth to work the pump. You should be able to easily make the pump work with your mouth. If it works with you mouth but not on the engine you may have a blown head gasket

NonameemanOn

Forum Newbie
Threads
You can attach a length of hose to the impulse port and use your mouth to pulse pressure back and forth to work the pump. You should be able to easily make the pump work with your mouth. If it works with you mouth but not on the engine you may have a blown head gasket
I will try this.