Buying Advice Extended Chain Saw

AndyMan

Threads
I have some overhead branches that need to be taken out. Has anyone tried those extended reach chain saws? My current saw is a Stihl - I've just never used one of those long ones. Are they safe?

noma

Threads
Morning Andyman

Yes they work good i have a electric one . And they are safe to, they are a little hard to use when you get then fully extended a little heavy and hard to hold you have all that weight extended out.Does not seam like a lot but it is. Sure beats getting the ladder out and moving it all around every time you want to trim a branch. I can only cut about a 4 to 6 inch branch , and remember they are falling on top of you if you stand under them. And you do have to have a electric cord to pull around with a electric one. I like mine .

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
AndyMan:
Absolutely wonderful...
ChainSaw on a stick... A great tool for trim work... wear eye protection as a lot of 'saw dust' falls directly back at you ... and as noma said, watch out for falling branches.

They are also handy to reach into thorny bushes/trees to do a little quick & easy pruning...
:smile:KennyV

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181105-030055.png
    Screenshot_20181105-030055.png
    724.1 KB · Views: 2

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm in the market for a "pole saw" myself. One with a telescoping shaft seems to be the best choice.

I think someone mentioned getting on a ladder with a chainsaw -- that's a really bad idea -- very dangerous. And climbing a tree with a chainsaw is strictly a job for a trained professional.

AndyMan

Threads
Thanks for all the advice and comments. I think I'd have to go with gas powered - 1/2 of my 56 acres are wooded, and I'd need an awfully long extension cord.:laughing:

Any recommendation on brands?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for all the advice and comments. I think I'd have to go with gas powered - 1/2 of my 56 acres are wooded, and I'd need an awfully long extension cord.:laughing:

As someone stated Stihl probably makes the best pole saw and ECHO also has some that are really good and they have a five year warranty. I use the Stihl Pro Series HT 75 and it extends out to 12 ft. and works great. Stihl Pole Pruners at Advanced Mower

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check into the Stihl Kombi system

Interchangeable KombiSystem Attachments - STIHL USA

One power head and a number of possible attachments

I have the power head and standard string trimmer head
Plus
HL-KM 135ー Adjustable Hedge Trimmer -- works great for tall grass and small limbs - lays it down instead of throwing clippings all over you
HT-KM Pole Pruner -- works great
HT-KM Shaft Extension -- 3' extended reach for any attachment.

Mac 624

Threads

Everything with a good name. Dolmar, Stihl, Husky, Solo, Echo, if available OleoMac or Emak.

I guess, it depends on the nearest dealer.

Here in Germany I have several dealers around by a maximum distance of 5 miles (our Stihl dealer), so it does not matter. In USA it seems to be a bit a difference.