eXmark Lazier Z loss of power

Phil P

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all

I have a eXmark Lazier Z 60 inch mower that we have been running for about 12 years.

We ha developed a back fire that results in reduce power to the point we have to disengage the blades to keep it from stalling.

After recovery it will operate again until the next back fire.

I have run out of options except the muffler. The inside of the muffler can brake off in sever pieces and vibrate around in there until they cover the exhaust outlet and cause this type of failure.

So now my question how do I get the muffler off?

Phil P

Attachments

• 20241004_135417.jpg
    20241004_135417.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 11

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You not going want to hear this from the image post it looks like the engine has to comes off as you can't access the nuts holding the muffler on the cylinder heads.

slomo

Lawn Pro
Threads
First off that stinks to pull the engine off to get the muffkin off. That would be my luck.

Not any help but what type of camera did you use on that pic? Never mind. You live at the South Pole.

I would spray her with rust converter then header paint prior to bolting back on.

Phil P

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi

Thanks for the response.

The picture is taken with my Android S22+ phone.

I have three nuts off I think I may try pulling the bolts from the mount and see if I can tip it up just enough to get the nut behind the governor arm off.

I don’t really like playing with this little stuff. Normally if the wheel and tire is as tall as I am I don’t get in to them.

Phil P

Attachments

• IMG_phil-1.jpg
    IMG_phil-1.jpg
    623.3 KB · Views: 3

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The engine carb & muffler come as a unit and get dropped in as a unit
Not really hard to get them out if you can get i up high enough to get under comfortably
Do a leak down test, I would bet on you having a blown head gasket
When you put it back get some air ducting and move that air filer to the ROPS so you can easily pull the blower housing off to clean the fins .
Also check the valves, the inlet & exhaust cams are the same and the valves are the same length
If one ( usually the inlet ) is at a different height to the other then the head has overheated and the valve guide has shifted in the head
Solution is to warm heat move to the right position and stake it good & proper .
If you play with that stuff staking should be second nature .