exmark kawasaki fb460v leaking oil

slash5bmw

Threads
Thanks guys. I'm going to give that a shot. Maybe a little thin layer of rtv on both sides also. The size should work. 10 x 0.03 x 26 inches.

I'll have to break out the x-acto knife.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks guys. I'm going to give that a shot. Maybe a little thin layer of rtv on both sides also. The size should work. 10 x 0.03 x 26 inches.

I'll have to break out the x-acto knife.
I’ve used small ball peen hammers to tap out the outline. Notice that I used the word tap? All that you are trying to do is leave an outline on the gasket material. You DO NOT want to damage your part.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Yep, and for bolt holes, i use a leather punch, you usually have to trim the edges of the holes with a box cutter but the punch gets ya pretty close.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
or you can use these from HFT for making the holes.
1628874057861.png

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
where have those been all my life..... :oops: :LOL:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
where have those been all my life..... :oops: :LOL:
They are called Wad Punches down here .
I usually start by tapping the holes with the 2 oz ball hammer then use the wad punches to knock out the holes
Then I slip the bolts through the holes to keep the gasket in position while finish ball peening the rest of the gasket.
For thin gaskets I use a set of cork bores as they are turn to cut with knife edges & I have a set left over from the lab days .
Fancy T handle set

Shaunhr

Forum Newbie
Threads
I changed the oil in my exmark and I noticed it's leaking oil. I put synthetic oil in the mower and was wondering if that's why it's leaking. It's not much oil but enough to be annoying and for dirt and grass to stick to the mower. I can't track down the exact leak but it might be coming from the gasket about 2inches up from the base of the engine. I'm not sure what the gasket is called. I was going to pull the engine in the Fall and replace it.

There's also a gasket behind a plate on the side(near the carb) that torn off a bit. It's hard to see the oil since it's so clear but you can see it pooling a bit under the cylinder fins.

Any ideas?
I’d say it’s the sump gasket.