Export thread

Exmark Explorer blowing 15A fuses

E

exmarkexplorer

Hello i had a friend drop off an Exmark Explorer ( i believe) with the Kohler engine for a not charging battery condition. Battery shows 12.8 not running. The stator is showing 45V AC current running. The voltage regulator is not showing much of anything DC volts however running at plug or at center tab on Voltage Regulator. Another thing im noticing is it keeps blowing the 15A fuses within 5 seconds of starting that are on the right side of the seat. The connections are very corroded and i cleaned them, i think they go to ignition switch.... Anybody ever run in to any of this?

thank you

R

Rivets

Since you don’t provide us with an info about the engine, except that it might be a Kohler, I’m going to take a shot in th dark and provide you with a manual. It may not be for your exact engine, but has an excellent section on how to check the charging system. Sounds like you may have a short in the charging system. If you have more questions, please make sure you provide us with all engine and unit numbers. We hate guessing at a solution, especially with electrical problems, can do more harm than good. https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Ko...13-CV14-CV15-CV16-CV460-CV465-CV490-CV495.pdf

E

exmarkexplorer

Since you don’t provide us with an info about the engine, except that it might be a Kohler, I’m going to take a shot in th dark and provide you with a manual. It may not be for your exact engine, but has an excellent section on how to check the charging system. Sounds like you may have a short in the charging system. If you have more questions, please make sure you provide us with all engine and unit numbers. We hate guessing at a solution, especially with electrical problems, can do more harm than good. https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Ko...13-CV14-CV15-CV16-CV460-CV465-CV490-CV495.pdf
PA-CV740-3115
serial 4324706751 on the engine.

R

Rivets

E

exmarkexplorer

Fuses below are the ones that blow .So yesterday testing the stator i had 40ish AC voltage. The Voltage regulator was testing bad. Should i replace the voltage regulator then re evaluate? I figure by doing that i can then check for charging voltage running and if thats not the ticket i have a wiring issue. Could possibly be an ignition switch also as that has a circuit for the rectifier.IMG_7065.jpg

I

ILENGINE

Looks like this system uses a 15 amp regulator. Two things to check. Do you have battery voltage at the B+ terminal on the regulator, and two is there a wire or metal strap going from one of the regulator bolts to one of the bolts on the blower housing below the regulator. Either issue will prevent output from the regulator.

E

exmarkexplorer

I will check when i get home from work..I want to say yesterday i didnt read B+ from regulator to battery negative.

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Hello i had a friend drop off an Exmark Explorer ( i believe) with the Kohler engine for a not charging battery condition. Battery shows 12.8 not running. The stator is showing 45V AC current running. The voltage regulator is not showing much of anything DC volts however running at plug or at center tab on Voltage Regulator. Another thing im noticing is it keeps blowing the 15A fuses within 5 seconds of starting that are on the right side of the seat. The connections are very corroded and i cleaned them, i think they go to ignition switch.... Anybody ever run in to any of this?

thank you
Insufficient info but... that fuse may be the one that protects the battery charging system and if blown shortly after it gets running, then you had power to crank but then a short most likely blew the fuse and you now cannot start or charge while running,

B

bertsmobile1

Check that the ground strap on the rectifier is there & connected, the brass strip ones have a habit of cracking through and making a sparking contact

Also check the fuse housings they have a habit of corroding & thus drawing high current .

E

exmarkexplorer

Attached are pictures. It blows the 15A purple wires connector. I have 46volts ac coming out of stator and 0.2ohms between the stator wires.

E

exmarkexplorer

Here’s is the regulator

Attachments

E

exmarkexplorer

64F5555A-508A-4AF5-997D-5FD60B75E097.jpeg

E

exmarkexplorer

Blowing up my own post sorry…. I don’t show battery voltage at the b+ post with key on. I checked for continuity on both purple wires and have it. Ignition switch?

I

ILENGINE

May want to check the purple wire for damaged spots that could be grounding out causing a short. Since this engine uses the solenoid shift starter that purple wire should be connected to the battery side of the starter solenoid and should have continuous battery power to the B+ terminal of the regulator. Unless Exmark tried to change the Kohler wiring system and make it key switched. You can still go directly to the battery side of the solenoid with the purple wire and bypass the keyswitch system.

StarTech

StarTech

It really would not hurt if the OP wasn't afraid to post the model number of the mower.

E

exmarkexplorer

I will get model number when i get home...supposed to snow today ughh. As for ILENGINE, i am able to light a 12v light bulb on both of those purple wires so i know it can carry the load and i even ran my own circuits to each after just because i can access it relatively easy. I will have all info for all of you later, thank you!

E

exmarkexplorer

Ok here is the model. LHP27KC565. Serial 701997.

R

Rivets

Try removing the spark plugs and see if it spins over faster. If it does you then probably have a problem with the valve train. If it still spins slow, probably the starter.

StarTech

StarTech

If I am seeing correctly the voltage regulator is on a Kohler so the following wiring schematic is for your mower.

Okay, The fuse (purple/violet) is the voltage regulator one. It should be only blowing the fuse in the ignition run position. Both off and start position it disconnected at the switch. It is likely the voltage regulator is bad or you have short to ground somewhere along the violet wire.

1648258716122.png

E

exmarkexplorer

Thank you for everybody’s help. It was the ignition switch.

StarTech

StarTech

Thank you for everybody’s help. It was the ignition switch.
Thanks for reporting back the solution. It seems to yet another rash of problems related to ignition switches going bad. I just had an Exmark that was having starting problems. When I went to do the electrical checks the ignition switch just fell apart.