Exmark Explorer blowing 15A fuses

Threads
Hello i had a friend drop off an Exmark Explorer ( i believe) with the Kohler engine for a not charging battery condition. Battery shows 12.8 not running. The stator is showing 45V AC current running. The voltage regulator is not showing much of anything DC volts however running at plug or at center tab on Voltage Regulator. Another thing im noticing is it keeps blowing the 15A fuses within 5 seconds of starting that are on the right side of the seat. The connections are very corroded and i cleaned them, i think they go to ignition switch.... Anybody ever run in to any of this?

thank you

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Since you don’t provide us with an info about the engine, except that it might be a Kohler, I’m going to take a shot in th dark and provide you with a manual. It may not be for your exact engine, but has an excellent section on how to check the charging system. Sounds like you may have a short in the charging system. If you have more questions, please make sure you provide us with all engine and unit numbers. We hate guessing at a solution, especially with electrical problems, can do more harm than good. https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Ko...13-CV14-CV15-CV16-CV460-CV465-CV490-CV495.pdf

Threads
Since you don’t provide us with an info about the engine, except that it might be a Kohler, I’m going to take a shot in th dark and provide you with a manual. It may not be for your exact engine, but has an excellent section on how to check the charging system. Sounds like you may have a short in the charging system. If you have more questions, please make sure you provide us with all engine and unit numbers. We hate guessing at a solution, especially with electrical problems, can do more harm than good. https://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Ko...13-CV14-CV15-CV16-CV460-CV465-CV490-CV495.pdf
PA-CV740-3115
serial 4324706751 on the engine.

Threads
Fuses below are the ones that blow .So yesterday testing the stator i had 40ish AC voltage. The Voltage regulator was testing bad. Should i replace the voltage regulator then re evaluate? I figure by doing that i can then check for charging voltage running and if thats not the ticket i have a wiring issue. Could possibly be an ignition switch also as that has a circuit for the rectifier.IMG_7065.jpg

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looks like this system uses a 15 amp regulator. Two things to check. Do you have battery voltage at the B+ terminal on the regulator, and two is there a wire or metal strap going from one of the regulator bolts to one of the bolts on the blower housing below the regulator. Either issue will prevent output from the regulator.

Threads
I will check when i get home from work..I want to say yesterday i didnt read B+ from regulator to battery negative.

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
Hello i had a friend drop off an Exmark Explorer ( i believe) with the Kohler engine for a not charging battery condition. Battery shows 12.8 not running. The stator is showing 45V AC current running. The voltage regulator is not showing much of anything DC volts however running at plug or at center tab on Voltage Regulator. Another thing im noticing is it keeps blowing the 15A fuses within 5 seconds of starting that are on the right side of the seat. The connections are very corroded and i cleaned them, i think they go to ignition switch.... Anybody ever run in to any of this?

thank you
Insufficient info but... that fuse may be the one that protects the battery charging system and if blown shortly after it gets running, then you had power to crank but then a short most likely blew the fuse and you now cannot start or charge while running,

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check that the ground strap on the rectifier is there & connected, the brass strip ones have a habit of cracking through and making a sparking contact

Also check the fuse housings they have a habit of corroding & thus drawing high current .

Threads
Attached are pictures. It blows the 15A purple wires connector. I have 46volts ac coming out of stator and 0.2ohms between the stator wires.