Exmark engine oil substitute

fixit1ddh

Threads
I have only had 1 engine give up the ghost. My oldest briggs i own I bought new in 1966 and it runs like new yet. From My experience the biggest problem with oil is how the equipment is treated. I allways warm up My equipment and let them cool down before shutting them off. I was a automotive mechanic in the late 60's and in the 70's was a lawnmower mech. Treatment of equipment is 99.99% but that's what I observed. I Myself run detergent Walmart blue bottle cheapest oil i can buy in everything I own. Other then the Diesel farm tractor. That one briggs that gave up the ghost had synthetic oil in it 2 days before it blew up.

bbarras85

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a gator tail surface drive mud motor and a 42” quest. My gator tail mechanic told me years ago to use rotella 15w 40. I use this in all mowers, generators etc

Born2Mow

Threads
I have a gator tail surface drive mud motor and a 42” quest. My gator tail mechanic told me years ago to use Rotella 15W40. I use this in all mowers, generators etc.
Rotella is a diesel engine oil. Initially, the "zinc package" (to benefit camshafts) was removed from auto oils because of the catalytic converter on newer cars. But diesels don't have the 'cat', and so the zinc remained. However, the newest diesel oils no longer have the zinc package either. So the recommendation from "years ago" is not the hot ticket it once was.

The EPA is changing fuel and lubricating oils to cut air pollution. Many tips concerning gasoline and oils that served our fathers well, no longer apply. In fact, a lot of those tips will actually do your engine harm now. It's a whole new ball game, and re-education on these topics is required.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
All the sulfur pulled out of Diesel fuel. Diesel oils getting stripped out like Born2mow said. Now a 15w-40 is plain old car oil. Guys buying it think it's the cat's meow. It's nothing special other than the enormous price.

I too run wallys mart Supertech blue bottle in everything.

slomo

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
Price is like $12. per gallon.