Engine Exmark 60 with 25 Kohler runs briefly and quits at irrigular intervals

djacks44

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Exmark 60 with 25 Kohler runs briefly and quits at irrigular intervals
My 1998 Exmark runs several minutes and then just quits. Left sit for a while it starts and runs again but quits again usually after a shorter run time. I have checked the float chamber in the carb and it is full. Checked the fuel anti back fire solenoid and it works but I can't always hear it when I turn I turn the ignition key. Does the power feed to the solenoid come directly from the ignition switch or does it get power from a relay?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
As soon as it shuts off pull the spark plug and check for spark.

sjessen

Threads
Couple of other possibilities: check to see if the gas tank is venting properly and a bad coil(s) are another. Does the engine just stop cold, run one cylinder or act like it is running out of fuel?

djacks44

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did a test on the fuel shut off solenoid and it was also erratic, so I cleaned the terminals on the back of the ignition switch and pulled and check the fuses when I pulled one fuse the solenoid made a distinct click and the mower started and ran OK after that.
Thanks for your help. Maybe this will help others.

djacks44

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did a spark check and it looks like each time the engine runs rough it has spark issues on the discharge side of side of the mower (right cylinder). I suspect the coil for that side.......so it looks like coil replacement involves pulling the engine. Does anyone know of an easier way to access the coils? I did suspect the ignition module but I don't think the symptoms would be limited to one cylinder.......anyone with experience that indicates otherwise? Manual says to check the advance but my spark checker indicates erratic spark in the right cylinder most of the time. When I pull the plug wire on the left cylinder the motor stalls out after a brief time of running.

Nwatson99

Threads
Got a link to what your engine looks like?
But if it is the same engine I am thinking about all you need to do is take off the air filter housing, engine cover, oil cooler, and the coils should be right there.

djacks44

Forum Newbie
Threads
Engine is a Kohler CH25 S.
Family SKH725U1GZRA
Spec. 68543
Serial #2804010291
I down loaded the service manual from the kohler web site (KohlerEngines.com)

Nwatson99

Threads
oh great you found a manual, what did it say?

djacks44

Forum Newbie
Threads
Manual gives several procedural ways to proceed but doesn't indicate whether the engine needs to be pulled to check the ignition system. My dealer didn't check the ignition internals like coil and advancement controller but did say the engine needs to be pulled to conduct any further testing. However that being said the service manual stipulates the engine needs to tested while it is warm. That doesn't sound like pulling and testing is possible unless you have a test stand, which I don't. I was looking for guidance on testing the motor on the mower if that is possible or does the engine require pulling to test the ignition coil/modules?