Exhaust glowing red - issues..

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Put a new set of Champion Rc12YC plugs in it and use it for a couple hours or so running at full throttle ( no idling) then pull the plugs and check color of center insulator.
White = bad
Tan = good
Black= not so good
Will tell you how the engine is operating. Lean/rich. Too hot/too cold.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you get in there again, look at the flywheel, there should be a part number on it. See if it is the correct one. The times that I have had a mower like this, the timing was off, usually the key. But since you bought it off someone, he may have had someone work on it that put the wrong flywheel on it.

Digger02

Forum Newbie
Threads
As others have touched on, I have had the red glowing exhaust (and visible flames at night) when the shrouds were stuffed with a mouse nest, and the exhaust valve needed to be adjusted to avoid opening too early. I'm not sure which one was the most critical - I found both during my maintenance.

pwardxe126

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thinking outside the box. I had the same issue with a briggs years ago and it was a stopped up oil screen. I took it in for warranty work and they resealed the sump gasket with permatex. The bead eventually came off and stopped it up.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Throw that E3 spark plug away & put in a matched pair of what it calls for.

66vette

Threads
So the engine still ran without a cylinder sparking? Wouldn't it have a noticeable performance issue? This is a two cylinder..I would imagine that performance would be even worse if they weren't sparking... but could they not be sparking optimal? "Mostly working "? So that there isn't a performance issue, but not burning enough?
I purchased it new and it was delivered in this condition. Even though it was running on two cylinders it was still faster and more powerful than my previous grasshopper with a similar 3 cylinder engine that had 23 hp instead of the 29 hp of the new unit. The only reason I knew something was wrong was the exhaust noise it was like an echo chamber which I conveyed to grasshopper factory and my local dealer along with the red hot interior muffler. They immediately knew what was wrong and fixed it.

Joed756

Threads
If none of this stuff has worked, I would get ahold of the seller and see if they perhaps still have the original carb. That can possibly be cleaned and reinstalled. Still glowing? Valve job.

Last edited:

kyledeere79

Forum Newbie
Threads
I didn't see anyone else mention this, but it could be a broken valve spring, or a valve seat that has come loose (not sure if that engine uses replaceable valve seats). Good luck.

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
Quick & dirty test for lean running is to turn the choke on just slightly
If the muffler stops glowing red then it is a too lean problem.
Other trick is to restrict the air passing through the filter .
Things line covering 2/3 with glad wrap or a brown paper bag with a small hole in it .
Start the engine and it will probably blow some black smoke so you then cut more holes till it just stops smoking.
If the engine runs fine & muffler does not become red then you have confirmed too lean running .
There is this little grey band between just too lean but makes the muffler glow red and lean enough to cause the engine to surge .
Your engine could be in that band
these are good tests to tell if it is lean. If issues seems unresolved or you are getting black smoke when no glowing, then it may be a hyd vaalve issue. There have been a few service bullitins on these lifters. 1619886011189.png

IN addition, do not discount a prior report that an aftermarket fixed jet carb is not a good solution and may be the cause. The only solution to such a carb is reaming the jets by someone who can and knows how and has the knowledge of specs and has the proper two sizes and the jets are accessible.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
2005 engine - valve lash adjustment. One way to test this is to observe muffler in evening. If fire coming out of end, I'd suggest checking and setting valve adjustment. (Exhaust valve opening too soon).
Off topic but I found an arcing motor run cap on my 5 ton air con compressor unit at night. Wouldn't have seen it in the daytime. Freaking Crinese capacitors. Got some American made caps now. (y)

slomo