Exhaust glowing red - issues..

jpdodd

Threads
Here are the pics for the spark plugs.. one is new, one is old (that I replaced). The other ones look the same, so I didn't take pics of them...20210420_174811.jpg20210420_174748.jpg

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Plugs are not overheated. Have you checked for a dead cylinder? Possible afterburning in the muffler.

MarkBer69

Forum Newbie
Threads
So its not the fuel that I used in the race car?? So I can still run the moonshine..

biggertv

Threads
Too Easy...Most Air Cooled small engines are not designed to run at Idle or with Shrouds Removed. It's not getting cooling air and is oil starved. Run it at Normal Working RPM or Blow it Up! Also, look for the hidden Rats Nest, Dirt Dauber Nest between Shroud and Head.

Last edited:

FLRMAN

Forum Newbie
Threads
Go to YouTube and type in "exhaust glowing red". Many answers there. To lean, sheared flywheel key [timing], needs valve job, etc.

Rick42wood

Threads
This might be a silly question but is there a chance there is diesel in the tank instead of gasoline?

66vette

Threads
I have a 3 cylinder Kubota gas engine that caused the inside of the muffler to glow red, It was caused by one of the coil packs being defective and not firing. This is a new grasshopper mower that was shipped from the Grasshopper factory in this condition. After it was fixed no more glow and the exhaust sounded smoother, running on all cylinders.

jpdodd

Threads
I have a 3 cylinder Kubota gas engine that caused the inside of the muffler to glow red, It was caused by one of the coil packs being defective and not firing. This is a new grasshopper mower that was shipped from the Grasshopper factory in this condition. After it was fixed no more glow and the exhaust sounded smoother, running on all cylinders.
So the engine still ran without a cylinder sparking? Wouldn't it have a noticeable performance issue? This is a two cylinder..I would imagine that performance would be even worse if they weren't sparking... but could they not be sparking optimal? "Mostly working "? So that there isn't a performance issue, but not burning enough?

Gord Baker

Threads
this video might help
It is running lean but put that plastic Insulator back between Carb and Cylinder. It is there for a purpose.
You may have to drill out main jet a bit. Are you keeping engine shrouds in place/

jpdodd

Threads
It is running lean but put that plastic Insulator back between Carb and Cylinder. It is there for a purpose.
You may have to drill out main jet a bit. Are you keeping engine shrouds in place/
I'm not sure what you mean by the plastic insulator...