EO-90 gas question

hemstein

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a new Toro 34" Timecutter zero turn with a Kohler 22 hp engine. I have 4 hours on the engine and I have been using premium gas (went to 3 different gas stations and could not find out the % ethanol content). Anyway, someone at the mower dealer where I bought the Toro said I should use EO-90 fuel. I do have a source for this at a local farmers co-op.

Should I use this EO-90 fuel instead of the premium gas I have been using?

Thanks for your feedback.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have you read your operators manual? The recommended fuel is in there. Minimum octane 87 and maximum ethanol at 10%.
TypeUnleaded gasoline
Minimum octane rating87 (US) or 91 (research octane; outside the US)
EthanolNo more than 10% by volume
MethanolNone
MTBE (methyl tertiary butyl ether)Less than 15% by volume
OilDo not add to the fuel
I use EO 93 in mine. But that’s what I prefer. If you want to use pure gas, look at the link below.

Last edited:

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Make sure that you use a fuel stabilizer. I prefer Sta-Bil.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Make sure that you use a fuel stabilizer. I prefer Sta-Bil.
I love seeing crystals in the fuel bowl knowing that it is Sta-bil residue. Nothing like a product that claims to stabilize fuel for 2 years when the product itself expires 2 years after opening the bottle.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I love seeing crystals in the fuel bowl knowing that it is Sta-bil residue. Nothing like a product that claims to stabilize fuel for 2 years when the product itself expires 2 years after opening the bottle.
I forgot that many people don’t read the product label. Just like many people never read their operators manual.

olgeezershonda

Threads
I guess that would be a concern if the owner didn't plan on using the mower every year. I've been using Sta-bil for years without any crystals forming but I use my equipment every year too.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
@olgeezershonda and by using good quality gas and using it on a regular basis, you probably wouldn't have problems even without the Sta-bil. I didn't know about the Sta-bil crystal formation until about 3 years ago when corresponding with a retired employee for the company that makes Sta-bil and he talked about how he wouldn't use the product because of the crystal formation.

But this argument is kind of like getting water in the gas. Years before we even had ethanol there was issues with water in the gas, and even in the storage container. And I always asked how the water got into the gas can and everybody always said condensation. But how did the condensation get into the gas can with both the pour spout and vent closed. Had to be already present in the gas but everybody always blamed it on condensation.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I guess that would be a concern if the owner didn't plan on using the mower every year. I've been using Sta-bil for years without any crystals forming but I use my equipment every year too.
I’ve never had any issues either. Any gas that I have leftover at the end of the season only sits about four months. I use some of the leftover and mix with used motor oil to start any burn piles.

olgeezershonda

Threads
@olgeezershonda and by using good quality gas and using it on a regular basis, you probably wouldn't have problems even without the Sta-bil. I didn't know about the Sta-bil crystal formation until about 3 years ago when corresponding with a retired employee for the company that makes Sta-bil and he talked about how he wouldn't use the product because of the crystal formation.

But this argument is kind of like getting water in the gas. Years before we even had ethanol there was issues with water in the gas, and even in the storage container. And I always asked how the water got into the gas can and everybody always said condensation. But how did the condensation get into the gas can with both the pour spout and vent closed. Had to be already present in the gas but everybody always blamed it on condensation.
If good quality means e-free no gas stations around here sell e-free gas anymore. I'm an evidence based guy. Until I see crystals in the gas I'll keep adding Sta-Bil for off season storage.

As for water in the gas I haven't seen that for decades. It used to be common practice to carry a bottle of gas line antifreeze in the glove box but I stopped doing that long ago. Perhaps that's because regulators required gas station operators to replace their aging tanks and improve the surface grade to prevent ingress of water into the tanks.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
If good quality means e-free no gas stations around here sell e-free gas anymore. I'm an evidence based guy. Until I see crystals in the gas I'll keep adding Sta-Bil for off season storage.

As for water in the gas I haven't seen that for decades. It used to be common practice to carry a bottle of gas line antifreeze in the glove box but I stopped doing that long ago. Perhaps that's because regulators required gas station operators to replace their aging tanks and improve the surface grade to prevent ingress of water into the tanks.
I run 93 octane 10% ethanol year around in all my equipment and my vehicles. Don't see any problems with my equipment that can set up to 6 months sometimes without being started. When I do use a stabilizer I normally use the Startron products. Seems to have a slight carb cleaning action on some mowers that are running poorly, but will run smooth after setting a day or two with Startron treated fuel in the carb.