Engines seize up

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Run one and let it cool down & bind
Then remove the blower housing which will exclude hings like a starter pawl jambing
I did have one mower come in where they had ben spraying the brake block with WD 40 .
That has caused itto become soft & sticky when hot.
Thankfully they are not law down here so I can just rip them off.
There is no way the brake can prevent injury on a mower more than 1 season old as the pads wear & take a dozen revolutions to stop he engine by which time all your toes are dog food ./
If one is stupid enough to mow bare foot, in thongs or shove your hand into the blades then you deserve to be hurt badly .
The missing fingers / toes will serve a useful purpose to remind you that mowers are dangerous.

Cfs

Threads
I have a craftsman with a Briggs that is doing the same exact thing..shut it down hot and it dies not want to restart. Starter rope will not pull turn the blade underneath a few times and it frees up

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a craftsman with a Briggs that is doing the same exact thing..shut it down hot and it dies not want to restart. Starter rope will not pull turn the blade underneath a few times and it frees up
Pull the oil dipstick and smell for fuel. If you detect gas, fix the carb needle/seat. Once carb is repaired, dump your oil a few times.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
thinking about it, the engine may be so hot that the oil is flashing off and causing the piston to stick to the cylinder. Try a better oil and don't run it so hard. Make sure all the cooling fins are clean as is the fan.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
thinking about it, the engine may be so hot that the oil is flashing off and causing the piston to stick to the cylinder. Try a better oil and don't run it so hard. Make sure all the cooling fins are clean as is the fan.
Fins and his oil are fine as he stated.

For oil to flash off, the temp would be 450F and above. As in engine meltdown mode.

Hydrolock hydrolock hydrolock. Plastic carbs. Cheap mower alert!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
What's wrong with DG oil? Do you think DG really makes their own oil? Probably made by Amsoil.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
never had oil cook into a solid in the stove or on a pan? VW heads are aluminum and they run 450F all the time. They also get coated on the valve side with varnish from the heat. I don't think the binding is mechanical. Hydrolock can happen but we are talking several different models here. And once the blade is wiggled they start fine. A hydolocked engine would take a lot more than wiggling a blade to start it. For one it would take a while to dry out the cylinder to where it could even fire.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
VW heads are aluminum and they run 450F all the time.
VW heads don't have oil circulating inside them unless I'm missing something. Maybe they do. Head temp and oil temp are different. If and oil gets over 300F look out. Definitely time for a cooler.
A hydolocked engine would take a lot more than wiggling a blade to start it. For one it would take a while to dry out the cylinder to where it could even fire.
Assuming said engine has a 0% zero leak down figure to it. On theses old tired mower engines I doubt it. Possible yes.