engine upgrade???

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
You can make anything fit with the right skills, time, and equipment. It just seems to me the motor shaft would be a problem and you will end up with a heavy hard pushing mower. You can buy from Harbor Freight a new complete engine for less then a 100 dollars that would fit better. Or also a good used engine from a salvage yard. Yes a Honda engine would be better but there must be a money thing here. A new Honda engine is a little $$. The time you did some like that why not buy another mower?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I took a 8hp Briggs off of a MTD yard bug and put it on a MTD push mower that came with a 5hp Briggs took about a hour.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I took a 8hp Briggs off of a MTD yard bug and put it on a MTD push mower that came with a 5hp Briggs took about a hour.

I can understand what you are saying and as for myself never tryed or looked into it. I am just wondering about the engine shaft? Wouldn't the be completely different from a rider to a push mower? Just how would you make it safe to install the blade proper? Maybe just a bolt through the bottom of the shaft? Would you need something like any flanges? I sure wouldn't want my feet around anything not safe. I sure wouldn't do it for a customer because if something happen you could get sued.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Maybe I got lucky but the shaft was the same. Bolt holes the same. Made a shelf on the handles to hold the battery. Used it once to cut the back yard now it just sits in the shop. It is a little heavy to push up hill

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have gotten mowers in my shop that someone has replaced the engine and thrown a blade on the bottom of the shaft without any safety in mine. When I was reading this trend this is what I am thinking about. A mower blade turns at a high speed and if it ever came loose I sure wouldn't want my feet around it. If the two shafts are the same I can't see a problem but think about what is safe. Also when I replace a blade bolt I always use a grade 8 bolt. Also when I R&R a mower blade if the bolt has any wear or tear it gets replaced.