Engine Thrust Bearing

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Some people have a problem between differentiating between top quality & marketing hype so they pay $ 100 for a wratchet which breaks so they tank it back & get another and another . Others can work out what quality is so pay $ 30 for a wratchet that last forever.

FWIW ask an Aussie and they will come back with Scott Bonnar , Honda or Pace as being the best , simply because the advertising said they were and their prices are higher .
Like I said, nothing wrong with Lawn Boys apart form the name inferring a slave mowing your grass ( for those looking for reasons to be offended on behalf of others who they have decided are too stupid to realize they are being offended ) but there is nothing fabulous about them either
Standard 2 stroke practice was rollers on both ends of the con rod as it is with most hand held tools now days .

I have troubles when some one starts talking about high quality engineering but can not understand how a ball bearing can locate a crankshaft & control end float .

There is a good reason why lawn Boy was a brand that was only sold in America and not anywhere else on the planet .
But that is just me .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I am still to see a well written service on these engines. Some of us have not even seen the insides of these engines so we are unfamiliar with assumed things the manuals leave out.

FuzzyDriver

Threads
"I have troubles when some one starts talking about high quality engineering but can not understand how a ball bearing can locate a crankshaft & control end float ."​

Who is it that "can't understand how a ball bearing can locate..." ? Certainly not me, I understand it just fine. The issue isn't understanding, the issue is not automatically assuming that a bearing assembly designed for lateral loads would be intentionally abused into providing thrust bearing, too.

If you are intending to provide thrust bearing, use a thrust bearing. This is obvious.

If you are intending to provide both lateral and thrust bearing, use a conical bearing. Obvious.

Jamming the balls against the races? This is obvious corner cutting and anathema to "high quality".

FuzzyDriver

Threads
StarTech: I was unable to send you a message. Do you have messaging shut off?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes. Because I got crawled about using PMs so I turn both PMs and emails off that way I wouldn't have the perceived problems when I had only sent info that was propriety that every Tom, Dick, and Harry didn't know. Beside management acted like they were reading my private conversations and they didn't need to know what I was discussing with another member; that is why it is a private conversation.

Sorry this is the way it has to be here on this forum. I also learn to step out a thread when stupid comments are made. Some members were rather hatefully when I corrected their errors when I knew what was posted was wrong info. Calling me a smart A doesn't cut it with me especially when all I was trying to do was to help.

With this I going back to finish assembling the Super Z that redone a hydro pump and replace the engine's crankcase gasket. Just had to rest after trying to get the PTO on. Finally had to use a bottle jack as my right arm kept giving out. I messed the shoulder up last Summer falling down a flight of steps. Still have length time limits. Now I got to route the PTO cable, put on the deck belt, and then fill the oil tank and engine's crankcase. I hope the weather holds out thru Saturday.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
"I have troubles when some one starts talking about high quality engineering but can not understand how a ball bearing can locate a crankshaft & control end float ."​

Who is it that "can't understand how a ball bearing can locate..." ? Certainly not me, I understand it just fine. The issue isn't understanding, the issue is not automatically assuming that a bearing assembly designed for lateral loads would be intentionally abused into providing thrust bearing, too.

If you are intending to provide thrust bearing, use a thrust bearing. This is obvious.

If you are intending to provide both lateral and thrust bearing, use a conical bearing. Obvious.

Jamming the balls against the races? This is obvious corner cutting and anathema to "high quality".
Not an unreasonable assumption when some one says " Ball bearings would not be better. Neither ball bearings, nor straight needle bearings affect end-play "
And no arguement that a tapered roller bearing would be better.

There is controlling end float and HEAVY LOAD Handleing thrust bearings / washers
There is 5/8 of SFA axial load on a vertical shaft push mower engine .
the 400,000,000 B &S sprint engines still running is testiment to that fact
In the 10 year I have been doing this for a living I am yet to find an engine failed from excessive axial wear
OTOH 2 to 3 of them go into the parts / scrap pile each year because the twist ( side load ) on the top bush has caused it to wear oval to the point it jams the pull start
Moving the air is nothing like the load of chopping the grass
Chopping the grass puts a load on the front pushing back & on the side pushing left
This is bore out by the fact that most top bushes are worn oval at the front & right
The blade exerts a load, the bottom bearing / bush acts as a fulcrum point to apply the load to the side of the top bush / bearing .
Peoples persecption of quality is usually corrupted by price & marketing
Rolls Royce is held up as being the best and is used regularly to infer quality
The RR of motorcycle, the RR of lawn mowers, the RR of pop up toasters etc etc etc
Well RR did not put an oil seal at either end of their cranks till VW took then over & fitted a modified Audi 5 engine in there
Now the oil slingers work exceptionally well but leave your car sitting on a steep slope with the engine off and you end up with 1/2 the sump contents on the ground .

FuzzyDriver

Threads
"Peoples persecption[sic] of quality is usually corrupted by price & marketing"

I could "pedantic" you on that one, but I see what you mean.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Its one of the reason I like to put on my tools before purchasing them or order a trial tool. Some brands that I am familiar with I do order without question but it because quality I get and not hype. Sometimes there is no choice as a tool is an usual size or design that I need.

I right now I am researching to see if of my trusted tool suppliers can supply the 22mm deep well impact socket I need here. Local supplier don't carry it.

FuzzyDriver

Threads
With this I going back to finish assembling the Super Z that redone a hydro pump and replace the engine's crankcase gasket. Just had to rest after trying to get the PTO on. Finally had to use a bottle jack as my right arm kept giving out. I messed the shoulder up last Summer falling down a flight of steps. Still have length time limits. Now I got to route the PTO cable, put on the deck belt, and then fill the oil tank and engine's crankcase. I hope the weather holds out thru Saturday.
Wow. Hope your shoulder is feeling better and you got that Super Z done.