Engine swap on cub Cadet

azmntman

Threads
Hello new to site and have a ?
Can a 25 hp Kohler be put into a cub cadet 1042 that originally had a 19 hp engine?
Without too much trouble?
Thanks much.

azmntman

Threads
Hello new to site and have a ?
Can a 25 hp Kohler be put into a cub cadet 1042 that originally had a 19 hp sv600 engine?
Without too much trouble?
Thanks much.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
The main things to consider when swapping engines are:
Crankshaft Length and Diameter,
Mounting bolt configuration (mostly standard)
Electrical wiring to the mower's system (Engine provides charging for the battery, etc.)

What's the model number of the 25 HP kohler?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Only if they have the same PTO shaft diameter & length.
After that you have the muffler problem.
They are part of the mower not the engine so you may have to get a bespoke one made.

keakar

Threads
Only if they have the same PTO shaft diameter & length.
After that you have the muffler problem.
They are part of the mower not the engine so you may have to get a bespoke one made.
this ^^^^

i find with 24hp engines they can have either sized shaft (1"x 3" or 1 1/8"x 4") but often anything above 24 hp has a larger and longer crankshaft output shaft.

azmntman

Threads
Thanks for all the info.
Motor is now gone.
Going to get rid of my cadet.

ChrisBFRPKY

Threads
Ah, another Kohler Courage story. Were you injured when it blew or did it just crack the block?
You can install a kohler command engine as long as you salvage the muffler from the donor tractor. A Briggs intek will also bolt up and the wiring is also exactly the same. I installed a 16.5 Briggs on mine and it was an easy swap also plug and play. Super little mower now and seems to have more power than the 20hp Courage it replaced. Remember to nab that muffler from the donor. Most donors will have the correct 1" shaft you need. I thought about doing a twin cyl Briggs on mine but I already had a few good single engines to choose from.

M hopper

Threads
:mad:my john deere lt166 48c vtwin is spraying fuel out of air intake but no fuel coming out from overflow outlet. I just rebuilt the carb but still symptomatic. Could it be a valve issue ?? Call me crazy but the air intake sucks air in how is it blowing fual out ? O ya engine is a Briggs vanguard 16 hp v twin #303777 type 1147 e1 code 99041311 old! Thanks

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If the exhaust lobe is badly worn or valve adjustment is wrong, it can do this.

M hopper

Threads
First of all thanks for your a answer. Do you have any suggestions as how to verify if this is the case.