Engine Starts After Cleaning but goes to Max RPM and want slow down. 310707-0137-E1

polarisgolf

Threads
  • / Engine Starts After Cleaning but goes to Max RPM and want slow down. 310707-0137-E1
A friend gave me this lawnmower. I went to change the oil and noticed behind the heatshield was a ton of crap. So I took off the carburetor and everything else I could so I could clean this engine properly. I removed the throttle linkage too, when I reassemble I wasn't sure I got it right.

I got everything back together and went to start it, it started but raced faster than possible! I shut it off immediately, messed with the carb linkage, and tried it again. Same thing, super high RPM's.

What did I do wrong?
Any idea where I can find a pic of the linkage to see if I did it wrong??

Thanks ahead of time for your help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Engine Starts After Cleaning but goes to Max RPM and want slow down. 310707-0137-E1
The governor is not connected or working properly
When you took everything off did you undo the long arm that is on a rod that comes out of the engine , at the clamp bolt on the rod ?

polarisgolf

Threads
The governor is not connected or working properly
When you took everything off did you undo the long arm that is on a rod that comes out of the engine , at the clamp bolt on the rod ?
No, I left that where it was. The problem I think is where I placed the spring on the back of the throttle plate. I'm betting it's in the wrong hole. I left that spring hooked to the governor's arm and placed it in the only hole that seemed to have wear. Just searched a couple of hundred pictures here and see that that top frail spring that runs along the governor linkage pulls the governor's arm toward the front and that spring on the back pulls the opposite way....What do you think?

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
the engine will try to run at full RPM but the governor pulls it back. You need either more tension on the governor spring or less tension on the wide open throttle spring. Each carb is different. Next time take photos :)

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I went to change the oil and noticed behind the heatshield was a ton of crap. So I took off the carburetor and everything else I could so I could clean this engine properly.
So you removed the top engine cover or shroud? Did you clean some cooling fins while you were there?

polarisgolf

Threads
So you removed the top engine cover or shroud? Did you clean some cooling fins while you were there?
I was just given this mower. Yes, I pulled the carb off as well as the parts connected to it in order to access this shroud, and cleaned the fins good, almost looks new. I put everything back where it belongs, or so I thought. I started it and the engine went to max rpm. I shut it off and changed the spring location, I started it again and it started at a normal rpm but when I moved the throttle up it did very little if anything. After messing with the throttle it suddenly went max rpm's again. I know this spring is attached in the right place as far as where it is connected to the governor arm but I don't know where it is connected to the throttle plate. I've tried three different places. There is nowhere that looks like a spring has been there for twenty years either. There is nowhere that I can see to hook the spring to the engine....HELP!

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I was just given this mower. Yes, I pulled the carb off as well as the parts connected to it in order to access this shroud, and cleaned the fins good, almost looks new. I put everything back where it belongs, or so I thought. I started it and the engine went to max rpm. I shut it off and changed the spring location, I started it again and it started at a normal rpm but when I moved the throttle up it did very little if anything. After messing with the throttle it suddenly went max rpm's again. I know this spring is attached in the right place as far as where it is connected to the governor arm but I don't know where it is connected to the throttle plate. I've tried three different places. There is nowhere that looks like a spring has been there for twenty years either. There is nowhere that I can see to hook the spring to the engine....HELP!
Something is binding up, throttle cable is At incorrect tension, spring(s) hooked up incorrectly. Pull the throttle lever back and forth slowly, and watch the movement at the carburetor.

polarisgolf

Threads
Everything is put together as it should be. I found a video to verify it. Unfortunately, the engine is still acting up. It starts fine but it runs as if its missing a little and in less than a minute it goes max rpm so I choke it and it calms down a few seconds then max rpm. The throttle seems to work as it should....I'm at a loss as to whats wrong. Any suggestions??

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Post up a video here so we can see and hear what is going on.

polarisgolf

Threads
Post up a video here so we can see and hear what is going on.
Going out to work on it today. I bought all carb linkages, springs, and air filter along with all gaskets from the cylinder intake back to far side of carb. If that doesn't work I will try to do a video so you can hear what's going on. Thanks for taking an interest, I need all the help I can get.