Engine Sputtering/Backfiring

rch316

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the following engine in my ride on mower https://www.engine-specs.net/briggs-and-stratton/40h777.html a 40H777 22HP V-twin and I can't get it running smooth. I have replaced the following with no success in fixing the problem. What am I missing?
  1. carburetor
  2. fuel pump
  3. fuel filter
  4. air filter
  5. spark plugs
  6. ignition coils
  7. added new fuel
I confirmed vapor lock is not the problem by taking fuel cap off as the mower was stalling after running it for 30 mins before replacing all of the parts above.

I did find that when I run the mower and disconnect either one of the spark plug cables from the spark plug the sputtering stops. Does this mean anything?

Here is video of the mower running:

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Craftsman Garage

Threads
Hmm, I would say that's unlikely. It doesn't sound like they've had the case opened up.

Tiger Small Engine

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have the following engine in my ride on mower https://www.engine-specs.net/briggs-and-stratton/40h777.html a 40H777 22HP V-twin and I can't get it running smooth. I have replaced the following with no success in fixing the problem. What am I missing?
  1. carburetor
  2. fuel pump
  3. fuel filter
  4. air filter
  5. spark plugs
  6. ignition coils
  7. added new fuel
I confirmed vapor lock is not the problem by taking fuel cap off as the mower was stalling after running it for 30 mins before replacing all of the parts above.

I did find that when I run the mower and disconnect either one of the spark plug cables from the spark plug the sputtering stops. Does this mean anything?

Here is video of the mower running:

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
I have a great idea. Clean the OEM (probably Nikki double barrel) carburetor that you hopefully didn’t not throw away. Install on mower and see how it runs. If you don’t know how to properly and thoroughly clean a carburetor, take it to a shop that can. These carburetors have to be dead on to run right.