Engine quit running, now won't start

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
you have to pull it just like you would when you start it...
if you have an auto parts store near by, they should sell a spark tester.
I like this one because it's easier to see, but i prefer ones where the spark actually has to jump a gap so you know it's a good strong spark
Those light jobs "show" spark only. They can't put a load on the coil like the PET-4000 can and the others with the bolt that screw in and out. You need a 6mm or roughly 1/4" gap to test with. Great video here explaining it. Just like electrical circuits, need to have a load to test properly.

slomo

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
which is why i said i prefer the ones where the spark actually has to jump a gap.

jquack

Threads
That will obviously work, but cutting up a lamp cord makes me realize I have lost sight of the bigger picture. Instead of a spark tester, in order to see if the spark plug is any good, all I really need to do is buy a new spark plug. If it doesn't work, I will get the spark tester, too, and let you know the results.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This is why we use various types of plug in spark testers.
The red ones are a lot easier to see but all they tell you is a spark is being generated .
The 3 point or sliding electrode type test the quality of the spark but are harder to see
When I get caught out without mine , usually because I left it behind on some ones mower, my next trick is to clamp a lock jaw plier onto the engine then force the threaded end of the plug through the handle