engine problem

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your coil has either a hot open or hot short. What do I mean? The coil heats up during normal operation, but after they age the windings may either short to ground or breakdown. After it cools down they will return to their normal position and you can start the unit again and it will run until it gets hot again. Solution, replace the magneto. Should be part number 595304, but double check with your dealer before ordering.

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
Another possible issue is higher load starvation. Fuel flow limited. Could be the cause of a sticky fuel anti after fire solenoid, the electric device on the bottom of the carb. It shuts fuel off with the key off. If it does not move fully, it can starve the engine. Also a sticky needle and seat in carb float will do the same.

jshep1102

Threads
Make sure your gas cap is venting properly. Loosen the cap and see if it runs past your problematic 5 minute mark.

Reactions: Zue
D

Deleted member 97405

Make sure your gas cap is venting properly. Loosen the cap and see if it runs past your problematic 5 minute mark.
This is a very good point. Although I'm leaning towards an ignition coil issue in this situation, I will say that those cap vents can be a problem. Usually the engine runs approximately 10-20 minutes if the vent is clogged. That's usually how long it takes the vacuum in the tank to overtake the fuel pump. This is true with any fuel cap that has a vent hole. I have seen the holes get plugged with dirt from folks wiping the cap before fueling or by wax from folks waxing their machines after washing.

carmedic310

Forum Newbie
Threads
Do yourself a favor and buy a inline spark tester at harbor freight.Its probably your coil.Very common for a coil to give spark until it warms up when they go bad

Threads
John Deere LA 115 19.5 briggs and stratton starts cold runs 5 minutes and cuts off. loses spark. Has a new spark plug new gas filter, new air filter. Anyone else have this problem?
Likely a cracked coil. When it gets hot the crack widens, and you lose spark. Replace with a known good coil.

shadedmechanic

Forum Newbie
Threads
As others have suggested, try the sparkplug 1st, even new ones can be defective, if problem persists, put in a new ignition coil. A failing coil will fire until it warms up, then stops. After it cools the engine will run again until it gets warm.

rainmaninwa

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello: I had the exact same problem with my Deere... Replace the coil....

doug9694

Threads
Model 31P677
Type 0132 B1
Code 071008ZD
Got it running but now it stalls when I engage the blades. Will not start again until it cools down.
Sounds like valve clearance is too small. I adjust it .001" looser so it takes longer between adjusts.

coder

Threads
John Deere LA 115 19.5 briggs and stratton starts cold runs 5 minutes and cuts off. loses spark. Has a new spark plug new gas filter, new air filter. Anyone else have this problem?
It is a long shot but easy to check: At the bottom of the engine block there is a grounding bolt. This sometimes comes lose and if it does, you have intermittent spark .
Had this problem on mine, It would stall out like yours. Replaced the battery 2x before I figured out it was the ground wire and tightened the bolt.
Never a problem after that.