Engine locks up during pull-start

Eggbert

Threads
I have a GX200 6.5 Hp powered pressure washer that is too difficult to pull-start. I took it on as a project, but things are not looking good. I've checked the valve lash (to make sure the anti-compression was opening the valve a bit) and the crank key (to make sure kickback wasn't from incorrect timing) and everything checks OK.

Pulling it over slowly seems fine, but as soon as I try to give it a good yank, it locks up solid.

Any thoughts before I either completely disassemble the engine or just throw it out?

Update. Removed the plug and same problem. Something may have come loose inside the engine. Only thing left to try is to disconnect the water pump. Comments?

Last edited:

Oddjob

Threads
I have seen this with a pressure washer I owned. The pressure relief valve on the pump was stuck closed. Try connecting the wand and pulling the trigger to relieve pressure on the pump. Then try starting engine.

Eggbert

Threads
I may have found the problem and it's so embarrassing. First, I removed the pump. Without the pump load, the engine started but with very low rpms and died within 20 or 30 seconds. So the carb probably needs cleaning. Suspect clogged jets and sticking float.

Havn't checked the pump out yet because I found the problem. OK... get ready to laugh at me.... Someone must have broken the pull cord and used the remains to fix the pull-start. Yep, the cord only comes out about 18 inches.

I should have known as when I got it, the handle was a hanging loose about 3 inches, so someone had been in there before. I did pre-tension by winding another turn but never noticed how empty the pulley groove was. Hard to see/notice with this machine.

So... next to clean the carb and get the engine running right, then replace the cord and re-install the pump and see what's what.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And boy I hate it when I get in an engine that short the rope on. I end up hurting my hand every time when first starting the job. Some are so cheap they won't buy a low cost rope.

It looking like I going to need surgery on one hand because of this. But I finally learned my lesson as to slowly pull out the rope to it full length to check for shorten ropes.

Here I no longer even buy the lower grade rope; just the commercial and premium grades. They are simply braided better.