Engine Engine issue

falinn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I have an old sears, 18 hp lawn tractor. Was going fine, shut it off and a few mins. later started it up. Went 10 feet and it stopped. It starts, but when you let the clutch out it stops, even in neutral; like the seat does when you get off. Does it have another cutoff that is connected to the clutch? Anyone know about this? Thanks, frank

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Post model number from under seat. You may need to make an adjustment or you have an electrical issue or both.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Short answer is yes.
Switches on seat, PTO, Clutch/Brake, gear/ direction lever.
Do as Mark advised for more help

falinn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Will get the model # tomorrow. Thanks f

Here's the 'real' info.: Craftsman 42", 16hp, 6 speed transaxle-model # 917.271071- Kohler engine #CV16S- Type #PS-43519. The issue: engine cuts off when the clutch/brake is released. Thanks

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Seat switch is bad.
You know the brake/clutch switch is good.
PTO switch is good because the engine starts.

falinn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Seat switch is bad.
You know the brake/clutch switch is good.
PTO switch is good because the engine starts.

The seat switch was by-passed years ago. It stops running when I let out the clutch, whether I'm in the seat or not. I have no idea about a clutch/brake switch, or if it's good...that's why I'm here and asking. Would that be in the manual, and where? It's not worded as such in the electrical diagram, as the seat plunger switch is, so what do I look for? Thanks

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
The seat switch was by-passed years ago. It stops running when I let out the clutch, whether I'm in the seat or not. I have no idea about a clutch/brake switch, or if it's good...that's why I'm here and asking. Would that be in the manual, and where? It's not worded as such in the electrical diagram, as the seat plunger switch is, so what do I look for? Thanks

I will still say look at the seat switch.
It was bypassed I get that. But I would check it where it was bypassed at.

The switch for the clutch is working.

falinn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will still say look at the seat switch.
It was bypassed I get that. But I would check it where it was bypassed at.

The switch for the clutch is working.

Okay, I'll check the seat switch. I thought that switch was only to cut the engine when you got off the seat. It won't be looked at for a couple of days because it's stuck out in the rain. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for your help.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Okay, I'll check the seat switch. I thought that switch was only to cut the engine when you got off the seat. It won't be looked at for a couple of days because it's stuck out in the rain. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks for your help.

With the clutch pedal down and locked you can get off the seat. When you let the clutch pedal up the engine shuts off because it thinks you are not in the seat.