Engine floods while running

Koda

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had problems starting my JD zero turn with B&S Vtech. Would start only if I put drops of fuel on air filter. This got worse until I finally changed carb with OEM. Ran great for a couple days then would die while running as if out of gas. I had put on a manual gas shutoff while swapping carb. Lucky I did because I had solenoid fail and gas leak thru muffler. Anyway I changed solenoid and it started fine then same thing died as running. I have found if I manually shut gas it will finally start and run a few minutes then start to die. If I turn gas shutoff on it will run longer then again start to die. I’m thinking the float is stuck or faulty allowing gas to flow despite need. Does that make sense or am I looking at wrong cause?
Thanks for any help.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The float valve isn't shutting off fuel flow into the carb. The solenoid on the bottom has nothing to do with fuel coming into the carb, nor prevents overflowing of the carb into the intake, cylinder, crankcase or out the muffler. Solenoid on the bottom of carb is to help stop the afterfire bang on shutoff.

Koda

Forum Newbie
Threads
The float valve isn't shutting off fuel flow into the carb. The solenoid on the bottom has nothing to do with fuel coming into the carb, nor prevents overflowing of the carb into the intake, cylinder, crankcase or out the muffler. Solenoid on the bottom of carb is to help stop the afterfire bang on shutoff.
Thanks. Any thoughts on why the valve on a new carb isn’t working? Could crap have gotten in there to keep it from closing? Wondering if I need a new bowl assembly or just a rebuild. Never looked in a bowl before.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Crap could get into the float valve from contamination of the fuel line when connect the carb. Rebuild would be my first avenue for repair. What engine by model is this briggs so I or somebody else can look up the engine to see what you are working on.