Electric Start Issue

Youngwill

Forum Newbie
I have a Husqvarna walk behind selfpropelled mower with electric start. It has the B&S motor and is similar to this one:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Husqvarn...r-Electric-Start-163cc-Engine-21-In/980630017
i bought it used last summer and, in general, it works fine. However, the electric starter has trouble turning the engine over. When I use the recoil starter, it starts on the 1st or 2nd pull, warm or cold, but with the electric starter, it has trouble getting over the compression stroke. Sometimes it will and sometimes it won't and even if it does, it has trouble starting. If I resort to the recoil starter, it starts right up. The battery is good and fully charged (12.7 v or more) and the wiring and connections to the starter motor look good and test with continuity. I have removed the starter motor and it works well when disconnected. There is no excessive play in the bearings. The gear that engages the starter gear moves freely. It seems like the starter motor is just not strong enough to turn over the engine. BTW, when I'm trying to start it, I either lift it above the grass or move it to the driveway and I'm sure to hold the release for the drive. I bought the mower because of the electric start and I would like to make it work. Any suggestions?
 
What type of battery? Small sealed gel type? Does it have date on it? If it is the gel type it may show good voltage but now have enough capacity to start the mower. Those type batteries dont like being stored where the temps are below freezing.
 
Also make sure that your battery and starter cable connections are clean and tight. Particularly the ground to chassis connection, which is one that likes to come loose and corrode, causing a lose of current available to the starter.
 
OK. I'll give that a try. Right now we are going through a chilly spell. Would it be best to put it on the charger for a while to warm it up. Of course, the engine is going to be cold (btn 30-40 deg probably). I can try to start it with the recoil and let it warm up a bit.
 
Temperature is about 45 deg and I did not warm up the engine. However, I did put the battery on the charger for about an hour and when I took it off voltage was about 13 v. I pressed the start button and it was able to turn the engine over, but it did not start. Voltage at the charging port while cranking was well below 10 v (maybe 8). So, I guess I need a new battery.
 
I agree. Suggestion if you can, load the mower into your vehicle and go to your dealership. Ask them if they would install, or if you can, a new battery to see if our diagnosis is correct. That way you shouldn’t have to buy a new battery if we are wrong.
 
Back
Top