Elec problem on 26 hp garden tractor

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
As I recall I said that on my first post check battery, then he talked about replacing relay/solenoid??? Yes most auto parts stores will test your battery for you for free, very good starting point.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You and I both agree that testing should be done before throwing new parts at units. Just wanted to reinforce what you pointed out. Sometimes this forum does not realize some of us have seen many of these problems at least once before. I guess some have more $$$ than us old farts, who just have a year or two of experience.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Willing to bet it is a bad battery. Charge the battery, take a voltage reading, if it is 12+ volts start the engine, run for 10 minutes, let sit for 10 minutes, try starting again. If it does not start measure battery voltage again. If less than 12 volts, replace battery.

I guess I said the same thing. Guess we posted at the same time. Sorry did not mean to say what you already said

jamdd2005

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks all, with one exception that thinks that sarcasm is a great substitute for advice, for the great suggestions. You all remind me of a lot of us helpful people on a lot of the Harley forums. I obviously checked the battery prior to anything. I have spent 20 years doing rebuilds on my own Harleys and know that that is where anything electrical begins. I only reached out on this forum because this is my first small lawn tractor and was seeing if there were any typical parts that frequently fail such as solenoid/relays, etc. This is the case a lot of the time with Harleys. the "engineered to fail" principal. 3010 john deere is the same. Anyway, with respect to the "exception", I'm sorry I didn't have time to learn all of the in's and out's of small engine repair. Apparently running a multi million dollar corporation and traveling all over the world for work for months at a time didn't afford me the time to undertake the education. Sincerely, Just another dumb tractor owner

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks all, with one exception that thinks that sarcasm is a great substitute for advice, for the great suggestions. You all remind me of a lot of us helpful people on a lot of the Harley forums. I obviously checked the battery prior to anything. I have spent 20 years doing rebuilds on my own Harleys and know that that is where anything electrical begins. I only reached out on this forum because this is my first small lawn tractor and was seeing if there were any typical parts that frequently fail such as solenoid/relays, etc. This is the case a lot of the time with Harleys. the "engineered to fail" principal. 3010 john deere is the same. Anyway, with respect to the "exception", I'm sorry I didn't have time to learn all of the in's and out's of small engine repair. Apparently running a multi million dollar corporation and traveling all over the world for work for months at a time didn't afford me the time to undertake the education. Sincerely, Just another dumb tractor owner

Sometimes sarcasm is needed to get a point across. Really was not aiming it towards you. It's just people like to have you look at things that are really not necessary.
It will start when you put jumper cables on it so we know that the safety switches and solenoid is working. It will not crank with the plugs out. No gas in the oil but will start when jumped. So the most obvious thing would be the battery.
Just because a battery reads 12 volts on a meter does not mean it is good.
Sorry if you do not like how I say things but I have a feeling you will be ok.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Seeing I was sarcastic once, I'll do it again. At no time did you say you had tested the battery. You may not respect me because of the way I posted and that is your choose. I don't know you, your abilities, knowledge or unit. I do know that the majority of the people who ask for advice on this forum with electrical problems don't know what they are doing. As an instructor I always point people to the simple and then work on up. I hate it when throw parts at something and assume they can fix the unit that way. In your case, I don't think you have even tested the solenoid, which is very simple to do, before deciding to replace it. Good luck with your unit, because as the exception I don't know what I'm talking. P.S. The softtails and electraglides of the late 60's are where I got my start.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads

Sorry if seems like there is some sarcasm, but I have repeated myself so many times on this forum it just comes out. I have seen it so many times that someone just starts replacing parts and don't have any idea what they are doing and it just seems like everyone adds to it. Yes I also repair motorcycles and ATV's in my shop also. Myself I own a Harley Sportster road bike, two Honda scooters, and two ATV's. Love my Harley sportster . I see Harley is coming out with two new models this year, 500/750 water cooled models. Its about time they came out with something new. I think the new bikes, cars, trucks, and ATV's with the EFI are a lot now complicated then any mower. I also do own a older 2010 John Deere. I have been in the repair trade business all my life wouldn't know the first thing about running any corporation . Never been much of a world traveler seeing I can't afford it and now living from check to check off of SS and retired.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Well you said you pulled the plugs and same problem??? Or plug??? Locked up??? Cannot turn the flywheel by hand? Either locked up engine, or stuck starter gear, if what you have said was true.

So what is true? If your millionaire busy lifestyle can tell us ignorant pig farmers, we may be able to help, and who are trying to help you for free!!!!

A millionaire, broke down with his Harley, we get that a lot of that here around Maker's Mark/Loretto. They know how to fix it, but they still are broke down looking for help from us inbred farmers....

How is that for sarcasm??

So after this bit of time, what is wrong with your engine? Can you turn the flywheel by hand with the plugs out? If not , why???

You, being the owner, need to take it from there..........

Or take it to the local lawnmower shop.....

I hear that there is a good lawnmower shop in Paris, France!!!! But they don't help you fix things for free!!!!