ECHO PE-225 Adventures!

seagiant

Threads
Hi,
Bought a "does not run" PE-225 edger for $5 and slapped a cheap Chi-Com carb on it and it ran for about a couple of month and then would not start again.

Did the usual troubleshooting and found when I added a little mix to the cylinder it would pop off.

I also think it might of had a seal or gasket leak, so I said to hec with it and tore the whole engine apart and replaced oil seals and all the gaskets. broke the ring trying to clean it so also got a new ring and a new used cylinder because the spark plug threads were junk.

Then ordered a new OEM ZAMA carb and put it all together.

The engine would run but only on "choke".

Replaced the fuel filter and gas lines and finally got it to work on "run".

The high and low jets are accessible with a small flat blade screw driver and started to tune it.

The problem now is that the idle screw is backed all the way off and I have to keep the low needle out enough to keep the saw running, but the blade does not stop, like the low is having to run higher than what it should, but if I bring it down to where the blade stops and increase the idle as it should work, the edger cuts off???

Hope I'm explaining this right, the edger runs and I can use it but was hoping to get it tuned better than this???

Wondering if anyone has any ideas, should just about be a new Edger after all the work and the new parts?

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Take the muffler off. Remove that U.S. Forestry window screen crap and throw it in the trash. Install the muffler. Use anti-seize on the muffler bolts. If you are an actual logger in the forest, clean the screen and reinstall.

Think you are on the right track. You need lower rpms to get the clutch to disengage so the chain stops turning. BUT the engine wants to die. Try the above sentence first.

Also did you clean out the ports from any old carbon buildup? When the muffler is off, check it.

Do a compression test.

What oil are you running and what oil ratio?

slomo

seagiant

Threads
Hi,
Thanks, it's an Edger not a Saw but I guess it's all related.
The compression is 90 and that is with a new ring as I said.
The mix is 40:1 but admittedly is a little old, I'll make a fresher batch.
The ports are clean and the muffler should be also, but will check again!
Thanks!
Ok, I see where I was sayin "Saw" for some reason, corrected that, sorry!

seagiant

Threads
Hi,
Ok, checked the muffler and no screen and no carbon.
I'll get some good 2 stroke oil tomorrow, Stihl or Amsoil and try some fresh non ethanol mix?

seagiant

Threads
Hi,
Ok, ran the saw today even though not tuned like I wanted, edged my yard and right at the end of the work it died.

Took it in and it would not even try to start.

Tested spark and compression, both good.

Set it up for pressure test on crankcase and got nothing!

Pulled starter off and the new seal was ripped???

All I can figure out was I damaged it using a socket instead of making a perfectly made seater.

Pulled the bad seal out and then got on the lathe and made a seal seating tool out of some one inch nylon.

New seal is on the way and will have at it again.

Maybe that seal was leaking a little the whole time and causing the tune problem

Will run a 7psi/vac test when I get the seal in this time!