Eating Squash Blossoms?

Bessy

Threads
Has anyone tried this? I have heard you can eat them, I have also heard you can eat cat tails too, those things that grow in swamps. I think that maybe I'll try both just to say I did.

jcobo

Threads
Has anyone tried this? I have heard you can eat them, I have also heard you can eat cat tails too, those things that grow in swamps. I think that maybe I'll try both just to say I did.

Don't know about squash blossoms for eating

Bull rushes or cat tails roots are considered to be survival food, similar to potatoes. Check survival websites for more info.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads

We grow squash every year, but I have never even considered eating the blossoms...have chewed one, it tastes faintly of squash. Some people dip them in batter and fry them...but they are very perishable.

About cat tails...supposed to be the most edible of all wild plants...have never tasted one though.

I am kinda leery about eating any wild plants because I saw that movie "Into the Wild" where the guy weakened himself badly eating wild plants he didn't know anything about.

173abn

Threads
I've seen cooking shows where they stuff the blossoms with stuff and dip them in a batter and deep fat fry em.always say I'm gonna try em but so far haven't.There used to be a guy [now deceased] by the name of Uell [sp] Gibbons that I first heard about the cattails and the edible connection.again never tried em. russ

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
You don't actually gnaw on the cattails, you either dig up the root and prepare it like a potato, or collect the pollen from the 'shoot' at the end of the stalk, and use it like corn flour (cattail is a close cousin to corn) Baby cattails can be eaten like a green. I've done all three. It's a lot of dirty work to get at the root, but that's the best. It's really hard to get enough pollen to use.

Gardoni (commonly referred to as 'burdock') is EXCELLENT! You eat the stems from baby plants. You have to 'defuzz' them with a 3m-pad like sink scrubbie, but it's pretty easy. Boil them up like asparagus (that's what it tastes exactly like) and eat them with a little butter &vinegar, or dip them in your favorite batter, and deep fry them. The other common way is to slice 'em thin (like salad or stuffing celery), mix it with egg, a little flour, and some garlic &onion to your taste. Fry it like a pancake. Serve on a bun or toast. Gardoni sandwich! (an Italian favorite)

These are some of what I like to eat from the wild (along with sorrel......looks like clover, but on long fuzzy stems, with tiiny yellow flowers......it's lightly sour, and resembles lemons in the mouth). Great on salads. Also, Dandelion greens (baby) are great used like spinach - raw or boiled.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
You don't actually gnaw on the cattails, you either dig up the root and prepare it like a potato, or collect the pollen from the 'shoot' at the end of the stalk, and use it like corn flour (cattail is a close cousin to corn) Baby cattails can be eaten like a green. I've done all three. It's a lot of dirty work to get at the root, but that's the best. It's really hard to get enough pollen to use.

Gardoni (commonly referred to as 'burdock') is EXCELLENT! You eat the stems from baby plants. You have to 'defuzz' them with a 3m-pad like sink scrubbie, but it's pretty easy. Boil them up like asparagus (that's what it tastes exactly like) and eat them with a little butter &vinegar, or dip them in your favorite batter, and deep fry them. The other common way is to slice 'em thin (like salad or stuffing celery), mix it with egg, a little flour, and some garlic &onion to your taste. Fry it like a pancake. Serve on a bun or toast. Gardoni sandwich! (an Italian favorite)

These are some of what I like to eat from the wild (along with sorrel......looks like clover, but on long fuzzy stems, with tiiny yellow flowers......it's lightly sour, and resembles lemons in the mouth). Great on salads. Also, Dandelion greens (baby) are great used like spinach - raw or boiled.

Makes me really hungry to read all this, I'm gonna go stick a pizza in the oven...at my age I need all the preservatives I can get....:laughing:

grnspot110

Threads

And I was told Euell Gibbons died in a fight with a beaver over a pine tree too! :laughing:

Burdock is a nasty weed that needs destroyed, not eaten! I'll stick to meat & tators, thank you! ~~ grnspot

twall

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't care for the term 'survivial food'. Hmmmmmmmm, how about this:

"Menu for the 'New Economy'........"

What do ya think? :wink:

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads

Try that and get back to me.....neither is toxic.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Never ate squash blooms but I do enjoy an occational pumpkin bloom battered and fried. I would assume squash blooms would be similar. Even like an occational dandelion bloom battered and fried.