Dumb question ??

glennsjr

Threads
How do you know if a small engine is overheating or not?? Over the years see post that say it's overheating but how do you know ???

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Couple things to do and then not worry about it.

1.Clean the engine block all around and below the flywheel - YEARLY. Also the cooling fins. Remove all oil, dirt, grass and grit. That oily dirt layer insulates the block and fins retarding cooling.

2.Use SAE30 oil.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
1) the smell of the aluminium oxide dehydrating
2) loss of power
3) very thin oil
4) blows smoke
5) entire exhaust glowing red

glennsjr

Threads
try a 20 dollar infrared thermometer
Thats my problem, Don't have a $20.00 one just a Mac tools one and that doesn't tell you whats overheating or what temps on what are acceptable

snorky1

Threads
375 max at full operating temp for air cooled engines

TomDavis

Forum Newbie
Threads
I like my infrared thermometer but learned they have to be calibrated to the material be checked. A muffler would be different than a steak or skillet or painted block. It is about the reflectivity. Should not be hard to figure out from info on the net what the approximate adjustment should be for your device and what you are measuring.

Luckyvision

Forum Newbie
Threads
Also, if it has the yellow plastic dipstick, they will turn dark when overheated. They will darken up some naturally over time, but you will see a much darker color when they've been running hot. This holds true for most engine manufacturers who use plastic dipsticks.

slydog

Threads
Thats my problem, Don't have a $20.00 one just a Mac tools one and that doesn't tell you whats overheating or what temps on what are acceptable
The laser temp reader is just that Actual temp. Do a search for normal temps for your engine, then use your expensive Mac, You might consider getting one from the Snap On truck and do a comparison for accuracy.